Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play local file instead of Spotify version

Solved!

Play local file instead of Spotify version

Generally, I am very happy with Spotify quaity. But I have some things for which my local copy sounds better than Spotify's. Is there a way I can make Spotify "use local" instead of using its own copy? I am speaking of the exact same album. It appears from what I have read (and I am still pretty new) that Spotify's using local files only applies for an album not in the Spotify collection. Or is this incorrect?

Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify will always play a local file when available, so if it is matched to one in the catalogue and you search for the track in Spotify, it will still play the local file.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify will always play a local file when available, so if it is matched to one in the catalogue and you search for the track in Spotify, it will still play the local file.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

on my computer it will play the local file, on my phone it will play the catalog version. please help!!

@12852817 wrote:

on my computer it will play the local file, on my phone it will play the catalog version. please help!!

Please read the support topic here for assistance setting up local file sync: Listen to local files

Make sure that you are on the same WiFi network and Windows & third party firewalls are configured to allow the Spotify connection through.

Another point to note is that sometimes if a track is stored locally & is also available to stream then when you sync to your device it will automatically use the Spotify streaming version but the data from your playlist. If for some reason the metadata such as track length differs this can cause conflict and break the track. In this instance you are best off removing the local file from your playlist on the desktop and adding the track from the Spotify server then re-sync. This should fix this issue.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I don't want the Spotify streaming version, I want the local file version.

is there a way to prevent this from happening? my EQ apps (viper4anfroid, etc) don't work if Spotify is playing a local copy, so is there a fix from Spotify reading the folder that contains the file? I've tried changing my Music folder on SD to all sorts of names like ".nomedia" and even creating a .nomedia file inside but Spotify still magically finds and plays it instead of streaming the song.

Suggested posts