Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback isn't paused when answering calls [Android]

Solved!

Playback isn't paused when answering calls [Android]

Hi,
from a couple of days spotify won't stop playing music when an incoming call arrives.
So I hear both call and music that is very annoying
I have to close the application manually.
Anyone have the same problem and have an idea how to fix it ?
Thank you so much

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, 

I think I solved the problem.  At least for me.  I went into application manager, opened up spotify and checked if permissions were enabled.  They all were.  I turned off all permissions and then exited app manager.  I then went back in and re-enabled all permissions.  For some reason this resets permissions and everything works.  Spotify now pauses with phone calls, allows me to skip and pause songs in my car and open the widget on my phone.  Hope this helps.

Bill

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Guys! Try this! I was fighting with this issue on my Oneplus One with Marshmallow 6.0 (CM13) for a long time and I was almost switching to Google Play cause of this.

1. Go to "Battery" > "Battery optimization"

2. Select "All apps"

3. Find "Spotify" and select "Don't optimize"

I am not sure whether this issue is Android Dose related or also present in fixable like  this in previous versions like Lollipop, but this fixed the issue on Marshmallow for me! I am astonished that no Spotify Support has provided this solution. 

Credit goes to XDA-Devs!

Marked as solution

I had the same problem with my Nexus 5 running CM13. Once I granted the Spotify app permissions for phone and storage (Settings > Apps > Configure apps (gear at the top) > App permissions) it started working again. After granting those permissions I had to (force) stop the app. With this fix the notification widget also came back.

For all the CM users: Make sure you grant the needed permissions also in the CM permissions (data privacy/Privacy Gurad).

164 Replies

Odd. Can you try a clean install using the guide linked in my signature?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Also what phone and android version are you on?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Daniel I too have been having this problem too. App reset does not work. I did a search on the problem and seems alot of phones have the problem. I'm on a LG G3. But I also saw ppl using S4 through S6 and even the new V10 have the issue. It's a problem. You can't hear the caller until you are able to back out of the phone app reload Spotify hit pause then profusely apologize to the caller for not being able to hear them. It's worse when your phone is system synced to your car... Trying to get out of the phone and into Spotify by voice commands is practically impossible... I usually have to hang up on the caller exit Spotify and then call the caller back and again apologize for hanging up on them. Not good when it's a business call.

I have also had this issue the past 2 weeks maybe?  Its incredibly frustrating.  Spotify also freezes, and randomly stops my music stream.  Its almost consistant usually after 5-10 songs.  I am using a Galaxy Note 4 with all the lastest updates for the OS and spotify.  

This is happening to me as well.  I hope they come up with a fix - I love Spotify so much... I pay the fee to avoid issues! 😞  I have a NOTE 5

@12152986548 wrote:

I have also had this issue the past 2 weeks maybe?  Its incredibly frustrating.  Spotify also freezes, and randomly stops my music stream.  Its almost consistant usually after 5-10 songs.  I am using a Galaxy Note 4 with all the lastest updates for the OS and spotify.  

Same here, music won't stop playing when i make a phone call or remove headphones. This only started recently, I have version 4.1.0.868. Has been happening on two different devices, galaxy s5, then upgraded to an LG g4, still having the problem

I am having this issue still of music not stopping when I make a call or while a call is accepted. I have tried a clean install but still having the same issue. I am on Galaxy S6 running 5.1.1

Samsung Galaxy S5

Android 5.0

Spotify 4.1.0.868

Windows 7 Pro x64

Spotify 1.0.18.60

I've been having several issues for the last few days. The music randomly stops playing, it keeps playing after I answer a call and it even starts playing the next song if I pause and answer the call. Today I was playing music on my computer, but when my phone rang the music was paused and after ending the call was continued on my phone.

I have tried doing a fresh install (deleting all files, cache, app, even cleaning up the folders using a file manager) and removing all devices before reinstalling Spotify on my phone. Problems persist.

Having same issue.
Galaxy note 5
Running on android 5.1.1
Latest spotify version
Another issue I have is when I unplug my headphone the music will continue playing as well.

Having the same behavior

Galaxy S6 egde
Happened after last Spotify update.

I'm surprised that nobody from support has responded to this thread, it's clearly a widespread problem

Same here with Xperia Z3 compact.

It stops playing when the phone is ringing and starts back when I pick up the call.

Very anoying.

Please spotify, fix your app

Incredible frustrating! I thought it was my phone .. my spotify stops after 2 songs. NOT HAPPY AT ALL. pay for premium and have awful service

Hey guys,

You know the new feature in lollipop that "optimizes" apps when they are not in use? I disabled this feature for Spotify and it fixed the problem for me. It also fixed the problem I was having where Spotify was randomly stopping music playback. Interested to see if this works for others. You have to go into battery settings, optimized apps, and tell it to stop optimizing Spotify.

Samsung Galaxy S4

Spotify 4.1.0.868

Android 5.0.1

Same here, when there's an incoming call, the music stop and the phone rings, but when I pick up, the music start blasting again.

Help staff, help!! 😉

"You know the new feature in lollipop that "optimizes" apps when they are not in use?"

Yes, I have disabled this feature for Spotify (and still get random pausing). That said, it shouldn't interfere with pausing music on incoming calls, and several people with this issue have a version of Android without that feature.

Recently for 1-2 weeks I started getting this annoying bug when listening to Spotify on my Nexus 5. If I am listening to music and someone calls me, the music stops while the ringtone is playing but after I pickup the call the Spotify Music resumes blasting in my headphones or the speaker on the phone. This is super annyoing as hell and for the time being I am considering going to Google Music simply because of this annoyance. It causes me to say to the person that called me "Wait wait, I do not hear you" and manually stop Spotify's playback.

Please fix this as soon as possible.

If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

This happens with my moto x (2014) as well as my husband's. I think it might be a lollipop issue, since it did not happen on either our old moto g and galaxy s3 with previous version. It plays so loud the call cannot be heard. It's especially a problem while driving, not wanting to look at the phone to turn off spotify. It's ONLY a spotify problem, other streaming stops. We are probably going to cancel our subscription since it's such a problem, and not the only one (the connect feature has been VERY buggy). Waiting for Google play music family plan.

Also having this issue. Just opened a case with support with the following....

LG G3, running Android 5.1.1
Music play stops sporadically after a few songs, and I have to click into the app to play again. And to be clear, the app does not pause the song, but actually stops play altogether so I need to select a new song to play to resume.

Also separately, music now plays back during calls if Spotify is playing when I receive a call.

Both of these issues are recent. I've been using the android app for at least 2 years now and neither was a until now, which would point to the last app release.

Suggested posts