Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast error / can't download

Solved!

Podcast error / can't download

None of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

LG G4

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

My music is working as usual, but when I go to my library > podcasts > episodes it says 'something went wrong' and when I go to podcast downloads it doesn't show them. I still can see the podcasts I'm following but when I click on them I get 'an error occured'. So I can't play any, though it was still playing ones I had queued in my play list. This is only on my android phone - works fine on my laptop. I have reinstalled the app and restarted my phone but no success. Please help, I spend my life listening to podcasts on my phone! 

Screenshot_2020-04-27-13-55-17.png
Screenshot_2020-04-27-13-55-12.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @karenakarena and @Jmartin319,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We've now created an Ongoing Issue about this and it'd be great if you'd take a look at it by clicking here.

If you already tried following the steps in the Status Update, it’d be great if you’d add your vote (by clicking +VOTE) and subscribe to stay up-to-date with how this develops.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I have the same problem on android, stated a couple weeks ago.

I figured out a clunky workaround, you can google the podcast with chrome, open the page in a new tab (if you try just clicking on it, it will try to redirect you to the app, opening in a new tab opens the web page version). There you can see all the new podcasts youve been missing. Now you can click on one to play, and then it will give you a redirect page to either sign in, or download the app. If you have it installed and click on download app, it will just go and open it and start playing the podcast...

Leads me to believe some update they did broke the hyperlinks embedded in the app or something

Thank you! Will try this as an interim solution. Will this issue be picked up by Spotify or do I need to notify them somehow? Somewhat frustrating as a premium customer not to be able to use one of the main functions of the membership. 

Hey @karenakarena and @Jmartin319,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Would you mind checking if there's any available software updates for the Android devices that you've experienced the issue with? It's good to check and double-check since the latest version of Spotify should be running smoothly if your device's operating system is also up-to-date.

If you perform any updates, it'd also be good to make sure you’re allowing the app to run in the background and disabled any task-killer, cache-cleaning or battery-saver apps as well as to restart your device before logging in again.

Let us know how this goes. We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too!

Mario Moderator

Thanks for the reply! It is up to date but it is quite an old OS - Android 6.0. Is spotify still working on 6.0? Gutted if not as I'll have to cancel! I'm not running any battery saver, cache clearly etc. stuff.

Like the OP, I too have android 6.0.1, its up to date, although there hasnt been an update in years.

Why is it just podcasts this affects? Its worked fine up until a few weeks ago. If its an update that caused it, I might as well turn off automatic updates for spotify, if I can find the previous version where it actually worked.

Marked as solution

Hey @karenakarena and @Jmartin319,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We've now created an Ongoing Issue about this and it'd be great if you'd take a look at it by clicking here.

If you already tried following the steps in the Status Update, it’d be great if you’d add your vote (by clicking +VOTE) and subscribe to stay up-to-date with how this develops.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime!

Mario Moderator

I posted this in the ongoing problems just now, but I downloaded an old version from the web, which I dont like doing bc those websites seem sketchy.

"I downloaded an old apk (version 8.5.51.941) from the website uptodown(dot)com. The most recent one I could find, circa 3/20/20, and that version fixed everything. Podcasts library fixed!

So much for having everything up to date. Will be turning off automatic updates, thank you."

deleted

Suggested posts