Plan

Premium

Country

Device

galaxy s6

Operating System

android

My Question or Issue

Since the latest update,every time i try to log in/out of the app i get the following popup message....

"This app wont work properly unless you allow google play services request to access the following:

Telephone

To continue,open settings then permissions and allow all listed items"

The app works fine and ive used it for years with the exact same permissions set on my phone and never had this message before and im not about to change permissions now.

Im still able to close the app down and it still works fine when i want to log back in so why is this needed all of a sudden?

9 Replies

Hey there @unclesilas,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

It sounds like some permissions are not allowed for your Spotify app. No worries, you can enable or disable permissions on your Android device by following the steps below:

1. Go to your mobile phone's Settings.
  2. Tap Apps, then Spotify.
  3. Tap Permissions.
  4. Next to each item you can switch Spotify’s access to it on/off.

If that doesn't do the trick, we'd recommend a quick reinstall of the app by following the steps here.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Thanks for the reply but its nothing to do with spotify permissions as i stated in my post

Ive been using spotify for years and have not altered or granted permission to google play services as the spotify app is now requesting

I already know the solution,it is wanting me to alter google play services app permissions.The question is,why all of a sudden is this happening after years and years of being a user?

The app still works fine without altering any permissions so why is this message now keep popping up on the app?

Maybe if the spotify developers were bothered to provided change logs every time they decided to screw something up,(hint hint) people wouldnt need to come here and ask questions like this and recieve generic answers like please reinstall the app.

P.s just for the fun of it (as years of experience have taught me im wasting my time) i contacted support directly and their solution........ try a different internet connection !!!!

Who on earth is actually employed by spotify support.I didnt think it was possible for it to have become worse than it used to be but today it has been proved that it has.

Why is the spotify app now telling me that it needs google play services permissions to be altered?

Go back to an earlier version and all is fine,no pop up messages or permission requests.Cancel the pop up message when it appears and everything works fine,so why is spotify requesting that google play services needs access to my phone when clearly it doesnt because the app still works without or if you cancel it.

20181212_162648.jpg

Hey @unclesilas.

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for the confusion.

The reason that Spotify is requiring your permission to use your telephone is for Google Assistant, which allows you to use voice control on Android devices.

To find out more, we suggest you head on over to this support page.

If you want to disable Google Assistant so that it doesn't require this permission, you might be able to do so by following this useful guide.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

Thanks for the explanation (again,if changelogs were available,these things could be highlighted so people know whats going on)

However,i dont use google assistant and there is no way to turn this off as per the guide,(its  not used anyway so dont know why it would be trying to make me give these permissions in the first place) i have no settings options (dont know if the guide is old or not but its not possible to do this anymore)so now im stuck with having to cancel this pop up everytime i want to use spotify.Annoying but the app still works when i cancel it.

Either that or i just have to use an older version of the spotify app which isnt ideal either.

I should not be forced to give permissions to another app that i dont use just so that spotify stops giving these nagging pop ups,especially since previously this never happened with older version of the spotify app.

Hey @unclesilas.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you try the following steps to disable Google Assistant:

• Open Assistant by searching for something in the Google bar
  • Click on More (three dots at the bottom) > Settings > Google Assistant
  • Under the Assistant tab, scroll down to Assistant devices and click Phone
  • Toggle Google Assistant off?

Let us know if you continue to receive the pop-ups! We'll be here to make further suggestions if you're still experiencing this.

Cheers 🙂

It isnt possible to do this as i explained i dont use google assistant

I am unable to get any further than "settings"under where it says google assistant because i am not logged in to a google account because i dont wish to use google assistant

The only way to get into settings is if i log into google account and then this turns on google assistant which is exactly the opposite to what i want

So in essence,you are trying to tell me to turn assistant off when in fact it isnt turned on,i dont use it,im not logged into it,it is off

Something has changed in these recent spotify app updates to make this popup  happen and to be forcing these requests/unwanted permissions as it is fine with previous versions

The last version before this started and still works without these permission nags is 8.4.79.612

Hey again @unclesilas,

Thanks for clarifying!

In this case, we'd recommend reaching out to us once more.

This way, our Customer Support teams can take a closer look behind the scenes for you.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Let you know how i get on 🙂 ...........

After several emails back and forth and me sending screenshots and video of the issue here is what the answers appear to be (so far)

Firstly it was blamed on my internet connection and was told to try a different internet connection (your guess is as good as mine what my internet connection has to do with anything)

Then it was blamed on google assistant and the fact that it used voice control (again...???wth)

Thirdly and the most recent excuse is now neither my internet connection nor is it google assistant anymore but now its because spotify wants to pause music when a phone call is incoming.

Apparantly whatever is causing the issue isnt something that has been changed for a long time even though i can quite clearly demonstrate between spotify versions that this does not happen prior to a certain recent version.

The latest solution.....accept the message and change permissions.:-)

I could have done this weeks ago and not bothered with all this.If i was going to do that i wouldnt have bothered reporting the problem.

I give up with it,im just going back to using a previous version .

Edit:

Final update as "support" has now washed their hands of this issue

The solution is to just change permissions on my phone and they arent able to comment on what was changed in versions of the app

If support dont know what was changed,then who knows?

Absolutely useless as ever.

Suggested posts