Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problem with Samsung Galaxy Note 3: No SD Card Found

Solved!

Problem with Samsung Galaxy Note 3: No SD Card Found

Hi,

I am having this problem for the past few days and am not able to use my Spotify account on my Note 3.

This is the error message when i start Spotify:

No SD Card Found

We found no place to stroe our data, please check that you have a working SD card and free space.

Your kind advice is needed.

Thanks guys

45 Replies

There was a problem with the 4.4.2 which caused this to happen and it affected other apps too - not a spotify thing but you should have received another update from Samsung ot your service provider to fix this by now. If not, stick with internal storage and hopefully the fix will reach you soon.

my issue was actually my SD card.... became corrupted and is stuck in read only mode.. getting it replaecd 

Spotify just get better and better. The only app not working on my phone.

Can't access anything in the app. Reinstalled, same result.

Factory reset maybe?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9ttdljla8e9spaz/UCRP8IY-9A

Is that a recent upgrade @squix ? Have you tried killing the app then power cycling your phone? If that doesn't work, try a reinstall. Definitely not a factory reset!

@jwylot 

I had the Spotify can't find my sd card, since 4.4.2 upgrage over a month ago, but the playlists worked anyway until a few days ago when the problems started. 

It's so bad now, that even with reinstalled spotify, I get the error message; no storage space available, and the screen get blank.

Still, all the other apps are working as intended, and I can store files, pictures, videos on both internal and external.

I only see a possible soulution with a hard factory reset, just to get this app to work...

If you have an external SD card, this is likely to be something other Note 3 users have been experiencing since the android 4.4.2 upgrade. It actually prevents apps accessing two SD cards. I thought that they'd released an update to fix that but it may not have reached you yet. To get spotify working, try these steps.

1. Open spotify settings and remove the cache (at the bottom of the settings screen)
  2. Remove the external SD card
  3. Launch spotify and play or download some music to fix the cache on internal SD
  4. Reinsert the external SD card

Spotify should work fine now, using the internal SD card for storage.

It did work, but I can't use my sd-card, when using spotify.

The sd card works with all apps on my phone except spotify, so this must also be a spotify issue, not only the 4.4.2 problem

Try searching Google for "external sd card on note 3" to see what's being said on this. Sure, samsung and google apps seem to be exempt but third party apps are blocked - try copying a file to external using astro file manager or saving a photo to external sd card with a third party camera app.

Good job we have plenty of internal storage on out Note 3s.

I called Samsung about this issue, and their answer was that they are not working on any fix, and that Spotify need to modify their request permissions to be able to access the extSD-Card.

So this is a Spotify (and 3rd p. apps) problem, according to Samsung.

Not sure where to go from here..

Please use the online contact form and someone at Spotify will get back to you. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it to speed things along.

Thanks, I sent them a message.

@fredd26 wrote:

I think I found a solution, and certainly found a solution for my NOTE 3 🙂
Now I have spotify on internal memory, but my offline playlists are stored on the SD card 🙂

After installing spotify, in the "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui", i found 2 folders "Users", 1 is in the "files" and another in "spotifycache", so I suspect the second is responsible for offline content.

Here's the trick:

1. remove the SD card, install spotify, start and log in, insert the SD card.

This solves the problem of installing spotify. Before the next step, quit Spotify, go to the App Manager, find Spotify, and kill the app manualy for sure. Important ! do not clear the application data or cache.

2. On the phone's internal memory find "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui" (should be in Android / data ), copy and paste to the SD card.

(If you do not have folder Android / data on the card, create it , the files on the card must have the same path)

3. Now go back to the phone memory to Android / data / com.spotify.mobile.android.ui - you should see 2 files and 2 folders: spotifycache, Users, orbit.settings, prefs. Delete the folder "spotifycache".

4. Run spotify, download the offline playlist. A message can jump, something about "playlists desynchronization, but do not worry, it's a good sign :). The message disappears and if spotify start up, it means that you succeeded. Thats it.

To make sure it worked for u, check again directory "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui" on the internal phone memory, there should be no change so you should only see only folder Users and 2 prefs files. But on the SD card in the folder "spotifycache / storage / " should be your playlists offline ( just check the directory modification hour in file manager) .

I do not know if it will work on other phones, but maybe it is worth to try.

cheers!

P.S  One more thing i found during my searching 🙂 After copying the directory "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui" on the sd card, first I tried to clear the data from the app manager and as it turned out, both folder was removed, from the internal memory and SD card, both folders "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui" disappeared. So on clear installation, spotify sees sd card and sd isn't a problem, just don't want to install it on any data.

Forgot to quote... Thanks, Fredd26. I've tried that on my note 3 (KitKat 4.4.2 - US Sprint) and it didn't work. at step 4, I start spotify and it recreated spotifycache folder in main memory and downloads the files to that folder. any ideas?

I hope this will solve the problem for everyone, like it did for me.

I contacted the Spotify support, and I got the reply to format my SDXC card from the standard SDXC format exFAT to FAT32.

This solved my problem, and I can now store offline playlist and write to my SDXC card with 3rd party apps.

Since Windows won't format SD storage larger than 32GB to FAT32 I had to insert the card in my laptop and use Easels Partition Master 10 to format it to FAT32.
There are also other programs and methods that will format to FAT32, but that one worked for me.

Hope this helps.

@user-removed Are you getting the "no SD card found" error?

@jwylot wrote:

@user-removed Are you getting the "no SD card found" error?

No. I am silmply trying to store music on the SD Card instead of main memory.

Maybe I missed something? Is there a setting I am supposed to change?

That should happen automatically if an SD card with more free space than internal is detected when spotify is installed. If you added the SD card after installing spotify you can switch the cache to external SD card as follows:

• In spotify oprtions, remove the cache
  • Make sure there is more free space on the external SD card than internal.
  • Download or listen to some music to create the new cache.

@jwylot wrote:

That should happen automatically if an SD card with more free space than internal is detected when spotify is installed. If you added the SD card after installing spotify you can switch the cache to external SD card as follows:

• In spotify oprtions, remove the cache
  • Make sure there is more free space on the external SD card than internal.
  • Download or listen to some music to create the new cache.

It works! Thanks!

it's weird because a part of your solution is the opposite to the marked solution of this thread (page 1. last post). over there, the recommendation is to remove the sd card prior to installing spotify. that's what I was doing all along. I am glad I ran into you.

LOL, oh okay

I do not have a sd card on my galaxy note 3 phone so where do I get one. I keep getting a a notice asking me to move some of my apps to my SD card to make more room for storage

Suggested posts