Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with using spotify on several devices

Solved!

Problems with using spotify on several devices

Hey Forum!

I'm using spotify on my Android phone, my laptop, my stationary computer and my girlfriend uses it on her Android phone too. The problem is that spotify works differently on each device.

On my Android phone everything works just fine and so does my laptop. But when my girlfriend tries to use spotify on her phone nothing works. All songs are grey and she can't listen to any music. When I use spotify on my stationary computer it says that im using spotify free and I have the commercials and all.

We logged in to spotify.com to see if there was something wrong with my subscription. When I logged in with my laptop it said that I was using spotify premium and that I would have it for one more week before renewal. When I logged in with my stationary computer (with the same login ofc) it said that I was using spotify free.

Why isn't spotify working fine on all devices, it did before but now everything is just weird :S

My subscription ends April 8, so there shouldn't be any roblems... Please help me!

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey spaades, welcome to the Community.

It looks like a duplicate account was created for you during the integration with Facebook.

To sort this out, just see my instructions here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts-Subscriptions-and-Music/Please-read-Missing-playlists-Premi...

In your case, you'll just need to sign into Spotify with your username 'spaades' and connect that account to your Facebook profile. This original account is on the Premium subscription - so everything should be fine afterwards.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey spaades, welcome to the Community.

It looks like a duplicate account was created for you during the integration with Facebook.

To sort this out, just see my instructions here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts-Subscriptions-and-Music/Please-read-Missing-playlists-Premi...

In your case, you'll just need to sign into Spotify with your username 'spaades' and connect that account to your Facebook profile. This original account is on the Premium subscription - so everything should be fine afterwards.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I did what you told me and it worked just fine 🙂 thank you so very much Richard! 🙂

I have a premium membership, installed it on both my wifes and my phones, the problem that I am having now is that if I'm using spotify on my phone and she starts spotify on her phone my pauses while hers is playing and vice a versa. did I do something wrong in the installing on one of the devices??

@halbthere wrote:

I have a premium membership, installed it on both my wifes and my phones, the problem that I am having now is that if I'm using spotify on my phone and she starts spotify on her phone my pauses while hers is playing and vice a versa. did I do something wrong in the installing on one of the devices??

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

No, its sounds like you are actually hitting one of the Spotify licensing limitations. 

Currently, Spotify is only licensed for personal usage, meaning everyone should have their own account. For that reason, you can only ever have one active streaming session at any given time (so 1 device) which is why when your wife tries to play, yours gets paused since you are using the same account. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter: is this limitation to only one device at any given time somthing Spotify recently added? I believe that I could stream at two devices at the same time in the beginning of the summer - or does my memory playing trics on my mind?

Cheers!

I believe the restriction has alway been there but you can play downloaded files on one device and stream on another - maybe that was your situation?

@GnistreDesign wrote:

Peter: is this limitation to only one device at any given time somthing Spotify recently added? I believe that I could stream at two devices at the same time in the beginning of the summer - or does my memory playing trics on my mind?

Cheers!

This limitation has always applied. 

That being said, you can sometimes "fool" the system by forcing one of your devices into offline mode from the settings menu and then only listening to offline playlists. 

Peter

Peter

Hey guys,

i´m using spotify free and currently i´m searching for an audio streaming service without commercial, better qualität and so on. My question on spotify premium fits to this post: Can I use spotify premium on several devices (PC, laptop, android phone, android tablet) at the same time online and/or offline? I want to share the costs with my girlfriend, so if I hear music at home on my PC/Laptop/Tablet, is it possible, that my girlfriend can ear music on her android phone or laptop with spotify at the same time?

@mogry_sama wrote:

Hey guys,

i´m using spotify free and currently i´m searching for an audio streaming service without commercial, better qualität and so on. My question on spotify premium fits to this post: Can I use spotify premium on several devices (PC, laptop, android phone, android tablet) at the same time online and/or offline? I want to share the costs with my girlfriend, so if I hear music at home on my PC/Laptop/Tablet, is it possible, that my girlfriend can ear music on her android phone or laptop with spotify at the same time?

Within the Spotify terms of usage, the answer is no. 

Spotify accounts are licensed for personal usage only, meaning each person should have their own account, and hence why Spotify have the restriction of only being able to stream on one device at any given time on each account. 

However, you can get around it by using devices in offline mode and listening to only offline playlists. 

Peter

Suggested posts