Premium

Country

Finland 

Device

Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017)

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Ever since I updated my phone to Android 9 the upcoming song queue resets every time I close the app/just leave it for a while/turn off my screen and turn it back on. 

Example: I'm listening to my liked songs in alphabetical order. I exit the app and have to put the song on pause, I return to the app after a few minutes to turn the music back on, look at the queue and see the songs aren't in the alphabetical order they should be in anymore. 

This also happens if I close the app. Most of the time these new songs are the same. For example songs from Lady Gaga's new album would ALWAYS be the next in queue when I opened the app, instead of what I had there the last time I listened. 

This is extremely annoying. 

Screenshot_20200604-010334_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20200604-011602_Spotify.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Anxious-Jay

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

As a first troubleshooting step we'd suggest you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your mobile. This step is recommended as it's more thorough compared to the regular reinstall and makes sure to remove corrupted data or cache on the device. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall depending on the device in use.

In case this persists after the clean reinstall try logging in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @Anxious-Jay

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

As a first troubleshooting step we'd suggest you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your mobile. This step is recommended as it's more thorough compared to the regular reinstall and makes sure to remove corrupted data or cache on the device. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall depending on the device in use.

In case this persists after the clean reinstall try logging in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Hi, thanks!
I did try the clean reinstall earlier (like a week ago) and it fixed the problem for a moment before it returned. Tried again now and it seemed to have worked, hopefully for good this time.

Other devices haven't had the problem.

Hi,

I am facing this exact same issue. I am currently listening to my liked songs on alphabetical order and neither my shuffle nor repeat are on. However, both on my phone and my spotify desktop app, the moment I close and restart the app, the queue resets the photo where the first songs is Hysteria by muse. The list of songs on the queue are exactly the same. 

I have tried doing a clean reinstall of spotify on my phone but that did not solve this problem. This seems to be a spotify server level problem given that it is being replicated on two devices, and I hope you can help me with this.

Here are some details

My spotify plan is Premium.

My desktop is a windows 10.

I have a OnePlus 3T and android version 9.

alphabetical.PNG
reset-queue.PNG

Hey @preetiramaraj

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community 🙂 

You mentioned that you've already tried reinstalling the app, but just to make sure, did you follow these specific steps?

On another note, could you ask a friend to log in to their account in your devices to check if the issue persists with a different account?

Keep us posted!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yes. I followed those exact steps to reinstall my app. I also got my friend to login to their account on both my devices and the same thing happened with them as well.

But one extra thing we learnt is that - even though I have sorted the songs by title, the queue reverts back to the order where it is sorted by date added i.e. the next song playing, is the song that was added after the current song. I have to explicitly click and sort it again by title so that it will play in ascending order of title.

I also noticed that when I press the title button on the desktop app, it cycles between sorting by title name in ascending order, title name in descending order, and then by date added (even though I only pressed the title button highlighted in this image).

asc.PNG

Hey @preetiramaraj,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Just to double check- your friend logged in to your account on another device or on the same devices? In case they logged in to the same device, we'd suggest that they try logging in to their account on your devices. That way we can check if it's an account-related issue.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry, I had misspecified (I have now updated it properly) My friend logged into their premium account on both my devices.

I think what is surprising to me is that this has only started happening in the past week. Last month, I listened to one of my curated playlists in alphabetical order all the way to the end and no such resetting occurred. 

Hey @preetiramaraj,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

In this case it sounds like you might be experiencing this issue. You can add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same thing with me, experienced the same problem with my Google pixel 5, just upgraded to the pixel 7 pro and the exact same problem started occuring immediately where I'm listening to my songs in alphabetical order and when I pause for around 15 mins or more it changes my que order to the exact same as before. Definitely a Spotify issue of some sort.

Hey @Jdjackson60,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Have you already tried clearing the play queue of your device? This looks like an issue with an item in the play queue at a first glance. Here is more on how to do that.

It's also worth making sure that the Enhance option is switched off (for mobile app). Turn off the Shuffle option as well. 

If this doesn't resolve the issue, try logging out and back in again a few times. It sounds a bit odd, but it forces a sync between the account and your device. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

LyubkaModerator

when i try to play my liked songs sorted by title, then pause for a few minutes or longer, the queue will reset and I have to go back in and again press the song to get it to play sorted by title. shuffle is off. this has happened on multiple devices. I did a clean reinstall and it is still happening. i made a new account and it is still happening. this issue has persisted for me for over a year.

Suggested posts