Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio autoplay when playlists end

Solved!

Radio autoplay when playlists end

For the past few days, whenever I get to the end of a playlist or album, instead of simply ending, it will begin playing a radio station based of the playlist I just listened to. Is this a glitch or a new feature, and either way how do I get it to stop? I make playlists in order to have a specific set of songs, the exact opposite reason one listens to radio, which is a random and new set of songs.
222 Replies

It sounds like AutoPlay is turned on on your device. You can turn it off by heading to: 'Settings (Spotify) > Playback > AutoPlay.'

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that once every song is played in an album or in a playlist, Spotify jumps straight to "similar songs" or "Spotify radio" or something similar.  In other words, it just keeps playing random songs rather than complete the album or playlist and then stop.

This is problematic in that it is important to me to limit a playlist to specific songs I want to play and when I am mobile, rather than limiting usage to my downloaded playlists, I have noticed a significant increase in data usage.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app with no success (same thing is happening on my webplayer and desktop app).  I have tried turning off cellular data within the app with unreliable success and it still doesn't address my concern about limiting the playlist to songs that I have specifically added.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a setting that has recently changed that I need to adjust?  Frustrating!

Hi @engljeff

I had this issue too in this thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/setting-to-disable-autoplay/m-p/1566257

The solution was relatively simple. Go to the Your Library tab and there should be a Settings icon in the top right hand corner. Once clicked, scroll down until you see the option Autoplay, and toggle it off. 

This did work for me. Hopefully it does for you, too!

Okay, so I have Spotify Premium. I curate my playlists very carefully. When my playlist ends, the strangest thing happens. Suddenly, a bunch of songs start to play that I NEVER ADDED TO MY PLAYLIST. I believe this is some algorithmic setting or "radio" function that Spotify uses to appeal to people who HAVE NO INDIVIDUALITY OR TASTE IN MUSIC. Sure, I don't mind having suggested songs pop up under my playlist on Desktop, which I can manually add to the playlist should I so choose. But please stop automatically playing these **bleep**ty songs after my playlist ends. Just start the list over from the top. Or teach me how to disable this function because I'm livid about it, especially when I've downloaded my playlist to save data charges and then I suddenly have to be vigilant about making the playlist stop before it starts playing Spotify's garbage. Sorry to rant. But I cannot deal with this and will delete my whole account if there's not a solution. Thank you!

Hey @jencoopersykes, thanks for posting! 

Hopefully it's something you can disable! Go to your settings page, you should see an option "AutoPlay" - disable it and the suggested songs will stop : )

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yay! It worked! Thank you SO SO SO much 🙂

Perfect, enjoy your music!

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Not a good problem to have, really messing with my OCD.

Hey there @zachizhur! Welcome to the community! 🙂

You can turn off the AutoPlay feature by:

1. Go to Settings
  2. go into Playback
  3. Turn off AutoPlay

I hope this helped to solve your problem! 🙂

Thank you so much, Jean!

Worked a charm, I really appreciate it. Had been bugging me for a few days. I'll remember that if it happens again!

I've never had this issue (feature?) until I decided to listen to some Spotify Radio (randomized songs). Now, when my playlist is over I get a similar (same genre) song playing. Sometimes that song is even in the very playlist I was listening to! Ans instead of the shuffle/play mode buttons, I get thumbs up/down. Why? I don't want any other songs than the ones i choose, unless I tell Spotify to turn on Radio. I have Spotify Premium, and I've had it for a year, and I want to choose the songs I listen to, that's why I got it in the first place. On my iPod touch, it's the same thing. "Radio based on playlist".. Is there some setting that automatically turned on when I listened to Radio once? I don't want that. Playlist ends, music stops; that's how I want it.
Last song of the playlistLast song of the playlistThe suggested song, with the new buttonsThe suggested song, with the new buttons Screen grab from the iPodScreen grab from the iPod

Hi.

Can you check if turning off AutoPlay inside the app solves your problem?

That did it for me! Just didn't see that setting because it was under "advanced settings" haha. A quick search also tells me AutoPlay plays me songs similar to the ones I just listened to, which was exactly what was happening. Thanks!

Oh, here it is..Oh, here it is..Voilà!Voilà!

I turned the autoplay feature off on my phone, but can't find the setting on the desktop. Do they seriously not offer that option on the desktop app, or is it someplace else? I'm looking under settings>playback, and there's nothing about Autoplay there. I've recently updated the app on my desktop, so this should be the latest version.

I don't think it happens on the desktop/laptop. So if you turned it off on
your phone, it should be good.
Hope that works.

This is happening to me now I dont know how to turn it off or if its a glitch in spotifys system. I have and iPhone 6 plus and this is soooo annoying if you guys could please fix it or tell me how to stop it that woukd be really nice!

Just found this old thread. Surprising that a 6 month old bug has not yet been fixed. Instead, I now have the problem that spotify starts this "radio thing" even though I have disabled "autoplay" in settings. Hello spotify, this is getting bad and requires a fast fix.

Hi.
Go to your library at the top click
That little settings wheel. Click playback. Scroll down to auto play and turn that off. There isn't that setting on desktop so I think once you turn it off on your phone it should be fine on desktop too.

As I wrote, the thing now starts even when this option is disabled.

Suggested posts