Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random pauses

Random pauses

In the last couple of weeks Spotify has been randomly pausing. It could be 2 minutes into a session, or up to an hour or so. 9 times out of 10 I can swipe down and press play on the notification, or if I'm using earbuds  pressing play on the inline remote usually works. I've searched online and tried everything suggested to no avail.

Android 7.0

Spotify 8.4.35.152 armV7

Premium user

Samsung S8+

Power save: Off

I've tried the 'sign out of all devices' trick - I thought it had worked but then the next day it was pausing again. It happens whether using earbuds, Bluetooth speakers, or just the phone speaker. WiFi or cellular signal, and with both downloaded and streamed playlist. Also doesn't seem to matter what other apps are running, or whether Spotify is active or running in the background. 

It's driving me crazy - is there anything obvious I'm missing? 

5 Replies

Anybody? This is ongoing, and getting annoying. I'm considering cancelling and going back to Apple Music. 

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app, deleted anything that I think could be causing a conflict, checked for android updates, pretty much everything suggested in older threads short of a factory reset. 

Same issue here, but I found out what caused it.

You see, when you hit play on the bottom bar when starting the app or hit play in the notification bar, it will use your wifi or data connection to stream music, instead of using your downloaded items. What you are experiencing is a buffer issue. If you want this to stop, either make sure you have a good connection at all times or run spotify in offline mode/start playing from the actual album or playlist page.

I know, it's stupid and should not be happening. But this is spotify, so it's not like we should expect a half decent app right?

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that and see if it helps. 

All I want is an app that works. Is that too much to ask? Lol

There have been two updates since the version you are using. I recommend enabling auto updates in Play and installing the latest version. Also, make sure that Spotify is included in the unmonitored apps at the bottom of the Battery settings page.

TheMisterff1: nope that didn't work. Got about 20 mins of playback then same old story. Thanks anyway.

Joe: just checked, looks like it's updated since I first posted - I'm now on 8.4.37.587

Spotify is in the unmonitored list

I'd be tearing out my hair if I had any! 

Suggested posts