Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 2

Operating System

Android

I just updated to Android version 9, and my Spotify version is 8.4.67.886 armV7. Today when I went to play some music, I noticed some interface changes. Specifically on the Playing screen, the "Love track" button has replaced where the shuffle button was, and shuffle has replaced repeat. It appears that repeat has moved completely of the screen. You have to click the three dots in the top right to get to it now.

Is there any way to switch this? It's super frustrating to have something as often used as repeat moved off screen, especially if I'm listening while driving. Just seems like a completely unnecessary frustrating change.

13 Replies

Hey @nerge, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this.

We're always adding/removing features from the app to improve the Spotify experience for all users overall. 

We'll be sure to pass your feedback on this to the right team though. 

Hope that helps clear things up 🙂

How is burrying a premium feature an improvement for users? I would be interested to know Spotify's thinking behind this decision. I have this issue too and will be cancelling if it is not resolved.

The issue is that Love and Shuffle are both binary; on or off. But Repeat has three options, Off, Repeat All, and Repeat One. Which means if I want to turn on Repeat One, I have to click the dots, then repeat, then it auto closes so i have to hit the dots again, and repeat again.

Just needless UI interaction. Takes extra time and interaction for no benefit. 

This is a major flaw now. I cannot believe I am suddenly researching other platforms to switch from Spotify over something so basic. How could you ever remove the most vital button!!! I will have to cancel my premium until it comes back, very frustrating. 

Agreed, this is so dumb ...

So where did these essential buttons go? I’m sure they put them in easier to access positions for UX reasons.  But also, why would one want to heart a song? 🙄

Hey folks,

Thanks for giving us your feedback 🙂

Would you mind confirming whether you are a Free/Premium user, as well as your OS (Android/iOS), along with a screenshot of what you can see on your end? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P

@Peter

I am a premium member, which I mentioned in my own post on the issue and is the whole reason any of us noticed the issue. I'm using the Android app.

Attached is a screenshot of what it looks like while playing from an album. To the left of the play buttons is a heart, as if I were listening to radio rather than albums or playlists. It's also completely useless to me, since I could care less about the "like" system on Spotify. After more than a day I finally found the repeat button in the three dots menu in the upper right hand corner.

I had it confirmed by a Spotify support person that this is not an error, it's an update. There's nothing to be done from a customer service standpoint besides send our complaints up to the right people

Screenshot_20180828-213440.png

Hey @furblies@nerge@ablair05@ubuntu_trusty and andreasVB91.

We're always trying out new things so we can improve Spotify. You can read more about this here.

We really appreciate your feedback so we have forwarded it to the right people 🙂

Thanks!

@Guido - there wasn’t much of anything said in that post to justify this silly re-arrangement.  Seems like Spotify needs to invest a bit more in UX.  😞

Simply because nothing can justify removing it in the first place! 😜

Thanks. While I think it's a silly choice, I completely understand experimenting with UX. I could see an argument for wanting users to have easier access to heart-ing songs or whatever, if there's some data you all have that indicates it is a better experience. Testing and iterating is super important with any product, just as listening to user feedback is. Thanks for this forum, and for running it well, and responding.

I'll keep paying for Spotify, because for every one of these minor inconveniences, there are a dozen amazing features that I love. Please keep kicking **bleep**.

Completely agree! Just switched to a Pixel from an iPhone and really really hate how inaccessible and basically unusable the repeat sign is on Spotify Android. Please switch with the Favorite option!

Suggested posts