Premium

Country

UK

Device

Huawei Mate 20pro

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Seems like there are a few running threads on this forum reporting issues of the repeat one button disabling itself after skipping over to the next track or starting a new playlist all together. 

See such posts here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Repeat-one-disables-itself/m-p/1954598#M22718

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Repeat-one-disables-itself/m-p/1157986#M45170

The thing is, I'm really enjoying Spotify premium. I originally stuck to SoundCloud over Spotify but recently the adverts soon became a real nuisance and the access to premium music offered on Spotify was more attractive. There is however, one sticky point that keeps getting in the way of me fully enjoying this app to the fullest and this is experienced across multiple devices..... You guessed it, the repeat one button and how its programmed. For some reasons the developers chose to have this switch off after each track event as if their intention is for all listeners is to listen to ALL THE MUSIC offered on Spotify at once. Also, it goes against the grain of standard settings for this functionality on other well known music platforms. To date this functionality is still present, to list a few; SoundCloud, Apple Music, Groove, Huawei music and many more. All of these platforms allow the user to choose one setting, and once set this setting persists onwards for most events while a user listens to their music, maybe some reset when a playlist is switched but generally the settings PERSIST  and do not switch so fickly after one track change. 

I read on one of the forums that disabling the repeat button is indeed intentional, but in truth this is flawed and truly BAD DESIGN when EVERYONE ELSE allows for this functionality …. EVERYONE. I don't see or understand why Spotify must be different in this simple but essential functionality. Some of these complaints go back as far as 2015, we're in 2022 and I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed, maybe some people have just accepted that that's the way it is.. but i think the developers can do better to improve the overall UX.

Please can we get some true feedback on this, at the very least to introduce this functionality as an option for those who prefer it one way over the other. The lack of this functionality is really diminishing my overall enjoyment of the app, and could result in me dropping the app over another that does implement it correctly.

4 Replies

Hi @mkaansah,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the community and sharing your thoughts on this!

Currently the Repeat One function works in such a way, that when you switch to a different song/ playlist it will get disabled, since you're no longer listening to the song on which it was activated. There are no current plans for a change in how the Repeat One function works that we're aware of.

We appreciate your feedback and have passed this on to the right folks at Spotify, as we understand that the current functionality of the app might not be enjoyed by everyone, especially if you're used to another music app.

Hope you find this info helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me on this point, much appreciated. 

Can you explain to me why Spotify chooses to only implement this functionality that is common amongst most other music platforms? Seems rather backwards to me. 

Honestly i think this app is well designed overall and has great content, but this one thing is really ruining the experience for me. 

I believe this repeat one function should be made optional to cater for both parties, as I'm certain there are many others who feel the same on this issue. Personally i listen to a lot of my tunes on repeat one, and each time i switch i have to go back to select repeat one over and over again.... I'm sure you can see how frustrating this can be over the course of the day or in other scenarios.

In my case I am not talking about REPEAT ONE but REPEAT, that keeps switching off. I always want REPEAT on my lists! And every time I play a new list, I must remember to also switch on REPEAT or else when the list is over music that I don't want will play or no music will play at all. It is also a huge pain in the UX of Spotify. Hope you fix it soon or also I will switch to Apple Music where some friends showed me it works well.

So its more or less a year on.. Is Spotify considering this or is the request dead in the water.? Its these small things that takeaway from great products. I've come across a few other posts where they said this functionality was initially there but was subsequently removed??. 

Suggested posts