Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SD card destroyed

Solved!

SD card destroyed

Was just testing the last update and used the function to transfer my music to the SD.

The music was transferring fine but suddenly an error occurred and Spotify said to check my SD card permissions.

Now my phone won't detect my SD card neither my computer. I lost everything on it and Spotify is downloading all my 800+ songs I had offline. 

Phone: Samsung A5 with stock firmware Android 4.4.2

Premium account. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Android does not allow any third-party app to have the necessary permissions to break an SD Card, so this is nothing Spotify did but I suspect a corruption in your SD card which has worsened due to Spotify writing to the particular block.

The best thing to do is remove the SD card and put it into a PC. Once done perform a full format on the card then check it for errors; making sure to check the box for automatically fix errors.

Once done pop the card back into your phone and reset the cache back to the SD Card

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Android does not allow any third-party app to have the necessary permissions to break an SD Card, so this is nothing Spotify did but I suspect a corruption in your SD card which has worsened due to Spotify writing to the particular block.

The best thing to do is remove the SD card and put it into a PC. Once done perform a full format on the card then check it for errors; making sure to check the box for automatically fix errors.

Once done pop the card back into your phone and reset the cache back to the SD Card

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Ok, just bought a new SD card and the transfer went smoothly although the quantity of songs to transfer were much less than before because my offline songs have not finished downloading yet.

I hope it was as you said, bad timing. The old SD card is completely dead, not recognizable in the phone or pc. It haven't shown any sign of damage before today and I used it only in the phone.

Maybe the old SD card was faulty to begin with? I once bought a 32GB card that had actually 2GB worth of good storage.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have now verified this bug in Spotify on three microSD cards and two phones. 

It is the spotify app that is the problem. 

My fix is this. If you have TWRP installed, go into the file manager go to your microSD card which should still be viewable and go the spotify file cache folder on the SD card. After deleting the cache folder I can now use my microSD card without issue again. 

I've also sent a ticket to Spotify to see what their fix is.....

I have the same,

I had a 128gb SD card which went bad after excessive usage of spotify offline songs, which corrupted it for sure. 

I tried to format it in Android, pc, etc, but nothing worked. I felt it was very strange that my spotify kept download the same Playlist and albums offline over and over again, it felt like the spotify offline songs were not sticking in the SD card. 

Out of the blue it got corrupted, just reading, but not writing anymore. I suddenly lost my expensive 128gb SD card. 

BUT, even though I felt it was related to spotify, I wasn't sure. So I bought another SD card, cheaper 64gb this time, and after 1 month it just happened again. Last week my spotify started downloading my ALREADY DOWNLOADED offline songs over and over and today it just got corrupted. Simply doesn't work and can't format. 

Below u can see the error I get when I try to format it. 

Any ideas? 

Screenshot_20171120-205239.png

Can you confirm this helped? 

I am having the same, it weird for spotify to be even able to do this strange blockage in Android/sdcard.

Unfortunately my twrp does not recognize sdcard, any ideas? 

any answers from spotify?

Apparently Spotify Developers/Testers doesn't use offline feature on sd cards at all (they have unlimited data plans or plenty of internal storage for sure). My SD card died the last week after saving almost 10GB of data from Spotify. Now I am afraid of using internal storage to store offline songs.

My second micro sd card destroyed today while listening and searching Spotify. This time completely unreadable. Card 4 hours old. Just purchased. System reset after last time due to losing everything off of card being unreadable, unformatable. By anything, windows, Android...  Happened while plugged in and charging. Thinking power got crossed on card read. Zte k88.

Very agitated over this. With others having this problem deleting Spotify from my devices. Probably going to delete account once songs listed for saving elsewhere.

DryyIce

Suggested posts