Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SPOTIFY VOLUME SPIKE - WHEN USING BUILT IN EQ - PLEASE FIX URGENTLY!

SPOTIFY VOLUME SPIKE - WHEN USING BUILT IN EQ - PLEASE FIX URGENTLY!

Phone model: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Spotify Version: 0.5.13.63

Hi there, I've been happily using Spotify for a few months now, no real problems to speak of.  Recently however (possibly since the latest batch of updates) a nasty little bug has developed which frankly needs to be address sharpish because it is totally ruining my Spotify experience.

With Spotify's built in EQ switched on, when a new song starts, or you skip within a track using the slider bar, I get a huge volume spike for a moment before the volume reduces back to normal level.   This is causing my ear's no end of distress, and I also fear for my headphones.

I've switched the EQ off for now, but listening to flat music isn't really my idea of fun.

Do I need to submit a bug report or do the dev's read this forum?

80 Replies

Just noticed this has already been posted a month ago and discussed by a few users:

Forum Link

PLEASE FIX IT!

You'll be pleased to learn that we've got a fix for this issue, and it will be released in a future version. I can't say exactly when, as we have a few more urgent bugs which need to be fixed first, but keep your eyes open for updates!

This still appears to be a problem! An renders the App next to useless on an Android SAMSUNG Galaxy S4.

If you listen in a quiet location you hear after <1 sec after starting a track the volume drops very low and appears to change to a low bit rate - even on a downloaded track. Later at a random time the volume cranks up to 11. 

This is the only device I own with which I have the issue - noticed in a recent upgrade this was fixed . . . clearly not.

Volume this low outside or on metro renders music inaudible and App therefore un-usable.

Julian

Premium subscriber

I have the same issue. When I use the EQ the volume drops within the first second, and then returns to full volume randomly.
Im also using the Samsung s4.

Markus
Also a premium subscriber 😉

FYI this issue was fixed in 0.6.5, which was released some time ago. I personally haven't seen the random volume spikes, but I will ask our QA staff if they can't take a look at this. In the meantime, disabling the EQ feature should effectively prevent the volume spikes as a temporary workaround.

Thank you for taking the time to help. I did see on a update I did that was said to fix the spike, but sadly it has not. I am not finding more and more post of people experiencing the same, so it is something that should definitely be looked into. Here is a reply I did to a different post.

I have also been experiencing the same problem. I do not believe it has anything to due with notifications. I play a song from my playlist, it starts normal/loud for a split second and then goes flat. The sound comes out like if I did not have the headphones connected all the way. Or like if it was playing from one speaker. It does this for like 3-10 mins like most have said. It randomly resets and the sound goes back to normal and clear. It will continue to play the songs clear until the playlist ends. But if I decide to skip, or choose another song, it will go back to turning off/flat until 3-10 min period. I have seen this topic being active since may and I cannot believe it has not been fixed. I will try some of the options that members tried to figure out on their on (its spotify's developers who should be fixing this) and see if it works for me. If it does not, I am going to cancel my subscription and go try a different company

@Cyrus23 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to help. I did see on a update I did that was said to fix the spike, but sadly it has not. I am not finding more and more post of people experiencing the same, so it is something that should definitely be looked into. Here is a reply I did to a different post.

I have also been experiencing the same problem. I do not believe it has anything to due with notifications. I play a song from my playlist, it starts normal/loud for a split second and then goes flat. The sound comes out like if I did not have the headphones connected all the way. Or like if it was playing from one speaker. It does this for like 3-10 mins like most have said. It randomly resets and the sound goes back to normal and clear. It will continue to play the songs clear until the playlist ends. But if I decide to skip, or choose another song, it will go back to turning off/flat until 3-10 min period. I have seen this topic being active since may and I cannot believe it has not been fixed. I will try some of the options that members tried to figure out on their on (its spotify's developers who should be fixing this) and see if it works for me. If it does not, I am going to cancel my subscription and go try a different company

What type of phone do you have? Does this behavior still occur in spite of disabling the EQ?

I have never heard of such behavior before, the fix we made in the 0.6.5 update seems to have stopped the volume spikes for the majority of users. What you are reporting is likely to be caused by something else (ie, not the EQ settings).

@Cyrus23 Are you using an app called RingDimmer that automatically adjusts the ring volume of your phone based on your current environment (or any other app which does something similar)?
I have experienced the problems you describe but they only happen when RingDimmer is running. I have to disable RingDimmer while I listen to music using Spotify.

this is exactly what's happening to mine and I'm fixing to cancel my subscription Also... Rhapsody just seemed a lot simpler... my songs were organized a lot better and sounded 10 times better

this is exactly what's happening to mine and I'm fixing to cancel my subscription Also... Rhapsody just seemed a lot simpler... my songs were organized a lot better and sounded 10 times better..on a samsung gs4

This problem is exactly what is happening with me as well. I am using a Galaxy S4 and it seems that everyone who uses this phone is having this problem. I do not have any apps that would be conflicting with the audio output of the device. It is really hard to pay for the premium service when the audio quality is poorer then that of the free service on a computer

This issue still isn't fixed. You may not have had this problem/heard of it but a simple google search will show you that this is still an issue, even since the 'fix'.

I am sick to the back teeth of trying to listen to spotify on my phone, the volume being so none existant as to have to turn the volume upto full, only to have it blasted at me at 50% more whenever it feels like it.

Without the EQ the tracks sound TERRIBLE, yet with it, I either can't hear it or I'm having my hearing damaged.

The only reason I pay the premium price is to listen on my phone, this currently isn't possible due to the fact that it is DANGEROUS. This issue single handedly renders my subscription not fit for purpose.

This issue needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency as there is a possiblity that this could quite easily damage someones hearing - I'm sure a quick negligence case would change the attitude to getting this serious error fixed for your SUBSCRIBERS?

In this world of new music services, the only thing you have to offer is the functionality of your software and your customer service (it might be an idea to start with the appearance that you care about customers concerns, not palm it off as something to do with another app/process....) looks like I'll be looking into the masses of competition for my money after being a subscriber for 3 years.

I have a galaxy note 3 and this happens so frequently I'd be more than happy to track it. It definitely has something to do with the way the notifications interact Spotify. The transition is so unceremonious that it physically hurts. Every single notification that comes in blows away the eq settings and my ear drums. I've contemplated not using my phone for music it's so bad. As a test, I've turned the volume down on the notifications and it still happens. It's something with the logic when a notification comes in and how the phone and Spotify handles it together. My guess Spotify should override the notification action while playing and simply lower/adjust like on the iPhone.

::Update::

This morning I used Google's All Access when walking to work. Wouldn't you know it. It does the same thing. This makes me question if it is Spotify or an issue with Android. The only difference was that Google Play handled it a tad better. It automatically switched back to the preset I initially chose.

I agree that it is a problem with the EQ. Turning the EQ off does solve the spiking problem but that is not more than a temporary solution. The spotify representative on this forum/thread should step up and do something about this. We pay over $100 a year each for premium service and such a delay in rectify involved the issue is far from premium. We should not have to lower our sound quality because Spotify is not taking the time nor making the effort to address this long standing issue. Please fix it. By the way, had the issue on my S4, Note 2, Note 3 but not on my iPhone 4S

Hey Adam,

I totally agree. I won't be renewing my service with them. I almost blew a speaker in my car the other day. I ended up getting a nano for the car and loaded it up with tunes to circumvent the issue. It's really unfortunate. I'm sure that if someone just paid closer attention to what the customers are saying. The software patch to fix this will be released in short order. But alas, our dreams of paying for something that not only works or even can get supported when the time comes is a dream to which will never come true. I wish you the best. Please stay safe and warm (if youre somewhere colder) during the holiday season. Enjoy!

Greetings Adam/All,

I may have a turnaround for the issue. I installed a program called Equalizer (www.smartandroidapps.com). It replaces the stock droid Eq that Spotify uses. It is constantly running in the background and has a bunch of presets. Finally, it has a widget that you can set and change on the fly. Since installing on Sunday I have not experienced the spike. Unfortunately, have to use alternate software but if its getting the job done until they fix the stock eq it might be worth looking at.

Both my wife and I have Galaxy note 2's with spotify premium subscriptions and have the same volume spike problem on both phones. Doesnt matter whether it is a direct wire aux input or bluetooth. No spikes when I turn off the apps built in equilizer. But darn does it sound like **bleep**. I'm actually shocked I have not blown out my car windows when it happens in my car. I have re -adjusted my amps to pop breaker at a lower level just to protect my speakers from this app. I love my spotify playlists and friends but think its time to find an alternative until this is fixed before I ruin my expensive audio equipment or blow out my ear drums.   Outside the spotify app I recently aquired a Jambox and noticed the jambox app has spotify integrated into it. So I figured I give it a whirl and see if using jambox app to play spotify on my note 2 has same problem and low and behold it doesn't and music sounds clean and crisp. Only down side to jambox app is the lack of features. So whatever was done to make spotify play in the jambox app needs to happen to the regular spotify app.All other music apps play fine

Still no fix for this? I mean how hard can it be to fix? super annoying when I just want to browse some albums. please fix this guys, were counting on you!

Suggested posts