Announcements

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD Card Issues

Highlighted

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD Card Issues

user-removed
Not applicable

Hello Spotify Community.

So about a month ago, I bought a Samsung 128 GB Micro SD Card for my Galaxy Note 4 (Running Android version 4.4.4). After I put it in (I was using Google Play Music at the time), I would download songs on Google Play, and then when I played the songs, an error message would come up that it "couldn't play the song I requested". If I streamed the songs, they would play, but I think the downloaded songs were corrupted. So, after my annoyance with Google Play, I went over to Spotify, like I used to. Now, more problems came up.

Yesterday, I tried downloading all of the albums in the "your music" section. It seemed to finish downloading in a day (Slow downloading times). So, I went to play an album and the app just became incredbly slow. And it wouldn't play my music. Then, I tried playing another album, and it wouldn't play. And to make it worse, it started redownloading the album that said it was already downloaded. So, I restarted my phone, and ALL OF MY OFFLINE MUSIC DISAPPEARED. So, I reinstalled Spotify and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. I have a slight suspicion that it has to do with the SD card. The card works fine. My photos and videos are transferred easily. I have reformatted the SD card, and factory reset my phone, and reinstalled Spotify many times. Please help. All of this downloading is making Spotify incredibly slow. 

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD Card Issues

Community Legend

Can you try running a chkdsk on the SD card for bad sectors? It sounds like you may have a faulty card, but it's worth trying some tools to see if it can be corrected first.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

I ran a chkdsk and it wouldn't let me scan the drive. It says "the type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive."

And then it asks me if I want to do a check when the computer restarts. I chose yes, but when it restarted, it just checked the C drive. 

Highlighted

Community Legend

Can you format the card as Fat32

Android Troubleshooting:
Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

It's a Samsung 128 gb micro SD. I don't think it can format as fat32, could it? I looked it up and it said that SD cards that are larger than 32 gb are formatted as exfat. 

Highlighted

Community Legend

NTFS in Windows... formatting it in your phone should set it as exfat

Android Troubleshooting:
Highlighted

I could be wrong, but I think the note 4 will not hold that high of a capacity card.  I have one as well and I believe its still at 32 gig max.?

Highlighted

Note 3 user here with lollipop and a 64gb Micro SD card in exFAT format. I would lose my offline music collection after practically every reboot. Problem solved after I removed the Spotify widget from my Nova Launcher home screen. No more quick playback via widget, I have to manually launch the app by tapping on its icon. Well at least I don't lose my almost 35gb of offline playlists..
Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

Well, I don't have a launcher anymore, so it can't be that. I don't use any widgets. And to the comment two posts above, the Note 4 should be able to hold any size of SD card. It says 32 gb max, but I have seen many people with larger SD cards that still work. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I used to have similar problems with my old Samsung note 2.

I think Samsung has now automatically set which apps will be allowed to be saved on external/internal memory to avoid issues with info retrieval/playability. Spotify app does not have option to store info to external storage. If anyone knows to the cotrary, let me know.

And, Samsung Note 4 can manage 128 GB micro SD.
SUGGESTED POSTS