Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung s10+

Operating System

Android P

My Question or Issue

Is there a Know Issue with the new S10 Devices? I *SEEM* to have two relating to Spotify (1 for definite)

1: Once the app is Opened, it stays awake and drains battery. Had it on yesterday for 1 and a half hours Roughly, Have "Active" usage of 4 hours. However, this coincides with Installing the Galaxy Watch App, which may keep it awake when used in "Remote" Mode, even without Spotify being open. I have to Manually force close the App.

2. Spotify seems to be using Google Play Services at an alarming rate. Again, my GPServices usage is almost Minute for Minute the same as Spotify was awake for. Currently Spotify is 4 Hours 12 (Most of that NOT actually being used)  and GPServices is 4 Hours 18. Seems a bit of a Coincidence.

Any Other reports?

25 Replies

I have the same device on the same version of Android and I have the same exact issue. 

After using it on a 22 minute commute I see later in the day over 4 hours of background usage, and Spotify ranking at the very top of battery consuming apps.  Like you mentioned, it unfortunately looks like it needs to be forced closed.  

Good pickup on the Gear app and play store services, I too have Galaxy Wearable installed and a Gear S3 paired.  In my case though play store services shows even more background usage than Spotify (but with less battery usage), although doesn't confirm they're not related.

Unfortunately you also can't set Spotify to sleep when not in use on the handset as it will suspend playback eventually.

Ah, So I'm not alone then. Though i was going mad, however, I'm suprised more people havent mentioned it.

I have removed the Galaxy Watch version, and so far its behaving. I think the Watch app is possibly more to blame as it you (I) scroll through to Spotify on your watch face it will open up Spotify on your phone. I've noticed accidently I paused on it for a sec and my screen lit up. Unlocked my phone and lo and behold, spotify was open.

I know this is presumed behaviour that the watch app opens the app on the phone, but it is opening and connecting without me even meaning or wanting to play music, draining my battery.

Still, between the Phone and Watch version, something seems up.

I am also having issues where the Background app usage is extremely high. It was over 13 hours yesterday despite only listening to music for about an hour. Leaving my phone off the charger overnight, Spotify continued to run and drain battery.

This is occurring on both my S10 and on previous Pixel devices, on Spotify Premium.

Yes, I have exactly the same issue. Huge battery drain from Spotify, even when not being used or opened.

Can someone from Spotify investigate?

Hello, same issues with my new S10, the background activities seem to kill the battery.

I have logged this issue with their support desk, no meaningful response yet.

If you choose the option to put Spotify to sleep, it springs back to life after a few mins. There is no fix for the battery drain issue on my S10 yet, tried all sorts.

Found something that may work. Went into my Spotify account, and basically removed all my online devices and signed out of all my accounts. Then uninstalled all my Spotify apps on my various devices. Then reinstalled. I'm no longer having background activity from Spotify. 

Never mind, issue is back. Clearly seems like an issue where Spotfiy is constantly pinging for something, but it's kind of absurd that it's causing so much battery drain and always running in the background. 

Spotify - if we set our apps to not use background activity, please respect that setting on Android.

Hi, thanks for confirming. I am liasing with Spotify and will keep you guys updated on the fix.

Samsung has intruduced a new AI module with S10 release and this helps with the power efficiency by turning off background connections and its adaptive. I suspect this is forcing Spotify to continously ping their servers as it loses the connection when it runs in the background. 

I think Spotify need to run this app in debug mode and find our what the background activities are doing. 

Hi guys, please can you try to unlink all devices from your account and install the latest release.

Version 8.4.97.807

It seems they have fixed this issue as I've not had any substancial drain in the last 24 hours. 

Still happening for me. I was already on that version and signed out of my devices yesterday but had background drain.

I've managed to nullify the drain by force closing the app after every use (as well as removing the Watch app, just in case), so something is keeping it awake. Connect devices would make sense but I'm not siging out of all my Google Homes/Sky Q boxes, It makes the Idea of Spotify next to useless if so.

As per screenshot, it cant be coincidence that my Play Services up time is the same as Spotify. It seems Spotify is using play services whilst in use (pinging something, API call, whatever) but NOT terminating the Play Services process in the background, keeping itself awake. 

You can also see the 2 minutes I forgot to close the app down...

Screenshot_20190319-125039_Device care.jpg

I THINK I HAVE A SOLUTION!

It seems to me it *MAY* be a permissions issue. Can those with issues please go to Settings > Apps> Spotify > Permissions and confirm, IF you are having background Drain that NO permissions have been allowed? Ie Camera, Storage, Microphone and Contacts. I'm Guessing permissions are OFF by default. If you could grant access to all these and go back into Spotify, Play a track, Pause playback, Exit the App but NOT close it down or force stop it (Swipe away the notification bar widget) and then check on background usage 5 Mins later and tell me if there has been any activity.

So far I have been able to stop ALL background drain by doing this and can see it happening again if I revoke the Permissions. It seems that on Installation, there were NO prompts to allow access to the above and it is polling Play Services on a constant basis, in a massive loop

Let me Know!

Still have over 7 hours of background activity desired only playing music for about 50 minutes...

This was after enabling permissions .

Curious if anyone has had any luck with this issue. Spotify has over 15 hours of running in the background today. 

No luck here. Have tried deleting sync on the account settings on the Spotify website and reinstalling the app. Made no difference. Haven't even used Spotify today but it's used 22% of my battery.

It does seem to be connected to Google Play Services, both report a similar crazy amount of background usage.

Screenshots attached.

Spotify won't admit there is an issue.

20190322_224722.jpg
Screenshot_20190322-224759_Device care.jpg

Not sure if anyone had any luck with this, but I ended up switching to Apple Music. Sorry Spotify, you need to get your stuff together. 

I am starting to think this is beyond Spotify

See this link

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10/S10-Battery-Drain/m-p/1047260#M4316

Try 

1. Settings > apps > show system apps

Find Google play services, delete all storage cache

2. Turn off your phone, then press volume up+Bixby & power button until you see the boot logo

In the recovery menu, delete the cache partition

Ideally you want to do this after the 21st March update.

I am waiting for it too..

But spotify never answered me what their code is trying to do in the background.

Suggested posts