Premium

Country

Canada

Device

LG G5, Model LG-H831

Operating System

Android 7.0, Nougat

My Question or Issue

For about 10 days now, I haven't been able to play any stored music in my Library, while not connected to Wi-Fi or data. I have even, as recently as this morning, formatted my SD card, as I was getting an error message that there was something wrong with the card and the app wasn't able to store any songs. As it stands, I've downloaded and re-downloaded music so often in the past 10 days, bandwidth is being stolen from other Wi-Fi spots and my commute is becoming very tedious.

What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong? Has there been an update preventing music for Premium users to be played while not connected to Wi-Fi or data? Are we just ad-free now and not fully free?

5 Replies

Hey @TheNahteb, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your offline tunes. Do you by any chance have a third party cache-clearing app installed to your device? If so, having it enabled could be erasing Spotify's cache, making your offline tracks inaccessible.

If that's the case, disabling any cache-clearing apps on your device should do the trick.

Let us know how it goes.

A what now?

I turn my phone on, and do stuff. What should I look for, name-wise, in re:
"third-party cache-clearing apps"?

Signed, a 43 year-old, weary commuter

Hey @TheNahteb.

If your downloaded playlists and music are suddenly disappearing, check out the steps under “Downloads unexpectedly removed” on this support page.

In case your Downloaded content is still there, but it's just not playing, make sure you turn the Offline setting on under the Spotify Settings > Playback > Offline.

About cache-clearing apps, these are applications that manually or automatically clear your phone's cache memory. Since your downloaded music is currently stored as cache, these apps could be deleting the information.

An example of those applications, are antivirus or other specialized apps.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Well, I'm not sure what happened, but, magically, this morning, I decided to give this one last kick at the can, and, somehow, it's working. I didn't change anything, I don't have any 3rd party cache clearing apps, I didn't touch my settings, I didn't even have to reformat my SD card (for the umpteenth time). 

I'll come back here if it happens again, though.

Awesome!

Feel free to open a new thread or get back to us here if it happens again.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Suggested posts