Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Scratch sound suddenly during songs on nexus 5

Solved!

Scratch sound suddenly during songs on nexus 5

Hi 

I am a very happy spotify user but since I got a new phone (nexus 5, 4.4.4) I get a scratch sound over songs. It's not related to specific speakers (got it on headphones, phone speakers and other speakers) and apperently only with spotify. It does not happen consequently, every now and then.

I have tried re installing spotify but no succes. It's really annoying, especially when I am trying to fall asleep (its a shocking experience). 

Can someone help me? I am considering bringing back my phone (although it's more likely that this is purely a spotify software bug)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your help. I did it but unfortunately no succes. However I just experienced it with watching a video so I guess it's a hardware issue. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

disabling the equalizer made it work for me.

not the best solution but for now it's ok.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Is it any song? Can you check if you have an equaliser installed and if so, disable it?

You say you uninstalled, but for a complete uninstall you may need to delete some folders; can you try again following the below process?

NOTE: You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this!

Uninstall the app from Settings - Apps then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it, then press 'Uninstall' (or any other way you usually uninstall apps).

Once done using a file manager (such as ES File Explorer) make sure that the below folders are deleted (the second one may be still remaining from the older version of Spotify):

/Android/data/com.spotify.music
/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Note: - Make sure to check both Emulated/0/ AND the /ext_sd/ locations for these folders as they could be on Internal memory or/and external SD card.

When all folders are removed go to the play store and install the Spotify Music app again (Direct Link).

Official guides for a clean reinstallation here
If using an external sd card to store your cache (Offline Playlists) on Android 4.4.2+ then please read instructions in the thread here: [Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
Marked as solution

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your help. I did it but unfortunately no succes. However I just experienced it with watching a video so I guess it's a hardware issue. 

Cheers

Glad it's not just the Spotify app, but it's odd it happens.

I think you should try a factory resent on your device and see if the problem continues. If it does I'd be tempted to speak to the place you bought it and ask for a replacement/fix as it sounds faulty.

As it's not the Spotify app I'll mark this thread as solved if that's OK, but recommend you do the above. You should not have to put up with it!

Android Troubleshooting:

I to have this problem, i've been using the nexus 5 for a couple of months now, very intensively if i might add. And i get this problem every few minutes when using spotify and i don't remember getting it using any other application.

Should i still go for the warranty or is there a bug in spotify that causes this?

@Xblaauw wrote:

I to have this problem, i've been using the nexus 5 for a couple of months now, very intensively if i might add. And i get this problem every few minutes when using spotify and i don't remember getting it using any other application.

Should i still go for the warranty or is there a bug in spotify that causes this?

Hi,

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps at all such as: [GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install?

Android Troubleshooting:

Hi

I am on a OnePlus One running Android L and I am experiencing the exact same complaint. It is a very annoying scratching sound, but it only occurs in Spotify. In any other app such as YouTube or google music there is no scratching sound. This wat I cant listen tot music anymore 😞

Koen

Same issue here since last Android update. Maybe à fix in spotify is needed?

Exactly what happened with me. Since I updated the Android version to Marshmallow in my Nexus 5, weird and annoying noises appear during ALL the songs.

Marked as solution

disabling the equalizer made it work for me.

not the best solution but for now it's ok.

Great guess, Bruno!!! But it seems it's not necessary to turn the equalizer off. It worked for me just to disable the surround sound inside the equalizer. Still it's not ideal, but a little better than disable the equalizer. Hope the next Spotify update fixes it. I want the surround sound back.

thanks! i will do that then.

Yepp exactly the same problem, got solved with turning off the surround sound. Not optimal sound, but without scratch sound

Suggested posts