Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Selecting Artist after search crashes/minimizes Spotify

Selecting Artist after search crashes/minimizes Spotify

Installed Spotify on Dell Venue 8 Android tablet.  

When using the search feature, for example "Neil Diamond" if you select an Album/Artist the Spotify app minimizes back to the desktop essentially crashing the app.  If you select a song "track" it starts playing no problem.  If you expand the All Artist then select an album it then works and able to play tracks for the album.  Have reinstalled the app and tried it on a different Dell Venue 8 Android and the same problem occurs.  Seems to be a bug in the Android Spotify app as this doesnt happen in Apple and Kindle OS.  Is there a fix for this?

10 Replies

I can confirm this has happened to me a couple of times but I haven't had time to fully test it to  see if there's a way to reproduce 100% of the time. Spotify doesn't crash, it just gets sent to the background and I can get back to it from the recent apps screen, similarly to the recent issue with crossfade.

If someone can reproduce this consistently, please post the steps here. Otherwise please post:

• Spotify version
  • Android version
  • Is cache on external SD card

My details:

Spotify 1.1.2.453

Android 4.4.2

Cache on external SD

Thanks Joe.  You are correct that it doesnt crash but minimizes.  

My details:

Spotify 1.1.2.453

Android 4.4.2

Cache on internal memory.  No external card installed.

Problem is consistent on both Dell Venue 8 tablets I tested selecting anything other than a song "track" on the initial search.  Here are the steps

1. Select "Search" bar.
  2. Search for artist "Neil Diamond".
  3. Once list appears, select anything under Top Results, Artist, Albums will minimize Spotify and will need to launch again.  If you select a song "Track" it starts playing the song.  If on the initial search you select the "See all" option under the Artist, Album etc. it will work and bring up another list of say albums then you are able to select any album and play any song track.
  • This issue happens on all artist searched but you can try these also -> Bob James, Elton John, Dave Grusin

Thanks for your help.

Russell

I can confirm this happening as well. We have a Venue 8 that crashes/minifies whenever you perform a search and then tap on any of the search results. Any fixes would be appreciated. This has only started happening within the last week.

Same problem on my Dell Venue 7.  Click on the artist after a search and it returns you to the home screen.  Click the background button and you're back in Spotify on the artist page.

@jim6578 wrote:

Same problem on my Dell Venue 7.  Click on the artist after a search and it returns you to the home screen.  Click the background button and you're back in Spotify on the artist page.

Can you try a clean install as per the troubleshooting guide?

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just uninstalled Spotify and checked to see that the files were deleted in ES File Manager.  I removed the SD card and reinstalled Spotify.  Same problem.

@jim6578 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just uninstalled Spotify and checked to see that the files were deleted in ES File Manager.  I removed the SD card and reinstalled Spotify.  Same problem.

Does it work if you uninstall Spotify, remove the SD card then re-install Spotify with the SD card still out of the device?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have the same problem on a new iView i700 tablet, which uses the same Intel CPU as the Dell Venue.  It's running Android 4.4.2 and has no sd card installed.  I've followed the guide -- uninstalling Spotify, deleting any remaining files, rebooting.  Same behavior.  I agree that it's not a crash, because streaming continues, but it makes the search function virtually worthless.

Same exact issue here on my brand-new Dell Venue 7 3000.

Did anyone find a solution because i have the same problem and haven't been able to fix it

Suggested posts