Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle Play not working

Shuffle Play not working

I've downloaded Spotify on my laptop and it works excellent.  I do realize using the free app on an android phone requires using shuffle play.  However, I can choose a song to play and pause it, but can't get the shuffle play to work.  In fact, I can't change the song that is playing in my playlist unless I pause the song, click on different category in my playlist, and click a song directly.  Shuffle play is lit green, but will not work.  Android version is 4.4.4 and it is a Samsung Galaxy S5.

11 Replies

So are you a free user? Are you sure you're not on a free trial of premium?

Check you don't also have shuffle enabled in 'Now Playing'. Open the now playing bar at the bottom when you are listening to a track and check the shuffle icon on the left isn't green.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I know that I'm not using the free trial b/c when I open up the now playing bar, the shuffle icon is green, and when I click on it, it ask if I want to try the free trial or later.  I tried clearing my cache, which I thought corrected it b/c I hit shuffle play and one of my songs in the playlist started playing.  However, when I hit shuffle play again, it wouldn't change to the next song.

Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

Android Troubleshooting:

I've tried mostly everything in the complete guide, and it still doesn't work correctly.  The shuffle play will not work.  The only way it will go to the next song in my playlist is for the song to end and switch over to the next song in the playlist.

Can you confirm the version of the Spotify app you are using?

Do be aware that shuffle play on free will play random tracks in your playlists as well as adding some 'suggested' tracks into the mix. You get 6 skips per hour; I'm wondering if what you are experiencing is actually the intended behaviour (it's just not clear from what you have written). May I recommend reading the below support topic and ensuring that what you are experiencing isn't in fact the 'norm'.

https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-free-on-your-mobile-phone

Android Troubleshooting:

The version of the Spotify app is 2.6.0.813

I installed Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 last night, and it works fine.  I can go in to any of my categories in my playlist and shuffle play, or click on a specific song that I want to hear as many times as I want.  However, with my Samsung Galaxy S5, once I click on a catergoy in my playlist and hit shuffle play, I cannot click shuffle play again or click a specific song.  I would have to go in to a different category to click shuffle play, and it will work the first time, but continue to do the same thing afterwards.  I have to repeat this process in order to use the shuffle play.  I have a friend that has the same phone as I have, and this doesn't not happen with her phone.  She can continue to hit shuffle play and it changes songs, so I don't believe this is the norm.  Furthermore, like I said in previous comments, Spotify works fine on my laptop, and this doesn't occur on my Samsung tablet.

Please see the thread Subscription Comparison Chart for a comparison of the different subscription levels Spotify offer. Free on a tablet/laptop is different to free on a mobile device.

I think you'll find your friend is currently on a free trial of premium if they are able to tap songs to play them using the mobile app.

Android Troubleshooting:

She has had Spotify since October and does not have Premium.  She can't click on individual songs, but can use the shuffle play without problems.  I guess it ends up that the best route is to uninstall it from my phone since it isn't working correctly, and just use my tablet when I want to listen to Spotify.

I have the same problem. Nothing plays

I went straight paid premium Spotify without doing the free trial I got the receipt of my payment but why can't I do shuffle Play please help

I have the same problem Ive had Spotify on my Ipad and just now getting a 6s its wayy different and I can relate to ALOT of this. But can I really not listen to music as freely and seemlessly as i could on my Ipad?

Suggested posts