Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle plays the exact same songs in the exact same order every single time.

Shuffle plays the exact same songs in the exact same order every single time.

I've been using spotify premium for several years now (mostly on Android), and recently I've noticed an issue with the shuffle function: It ALWAYS plays my songs in the EXACT SAME ORDER.

The playlist I usually listen too has around 120 songs, and every time I hit the shuffle button or turn the shuffle off and on again, I find out after a few songs that the exact same order of songs is playing every time, it just picks up from the song I'm in and keeps going with this seemingly pre-set order.

My listening times don't allow for me to listen to the entire 7 hours of music in one go, in fact I can only usually listen to 20 songs tops during my free time between activities, which means I might very well never get to hear a major percentage of my playlist unless I specifically pick out a bunch of songs and add them to my queue (and even then it would go through the rest of the playlist in that same pre-set order after the last song in the queue ends!).

Digging around the forums I realized more people have this issue, and have had it for what seems to be several years!

Will spotify ever fix their broken shuffle function? Is there some way to listen to my music in a truly random fashion hidden beneath mountains of settings? Can they at least give us an option to LEGITIMATELY randomize, or at least re-shuffle our playlists?

2 Replies

Hey @MrACOR,

Welcome to the community!

Your songs definitely shouldn't be played in the exact same order when shuffling.

First up, let's try a quick clean reinstallation of the Spotify app by following these steps.

If that doesn't help, let's try sorting your playlist by song title, then shuffling your music.

1. Go to the list you’d like to sort.
  2. Pull down and release to display icon_menu.png at the top. Tap it.
  3. Under Sort By, tap Title.

Let me know how it goes. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I had the very same problem for several months. It started suddenly last November, affecting only my Android phone. Never could find an explanation or a solution for it. (I tried everything, including setting up a whole new account.) Quite a few users reported a similar problem. For me, the issue just as suddenly went away in April or May. Works fine now. I still have no idea what happened. Here's wishing you the best of luck finding a solution!

Suggested posts