Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback issues: Songs going silent on Android app

We've received reports from Android users that the progress bar of a song keeps moving but there's no sound coming out. When the app is restarted, the progress bar goes back to the point where the song went silent.

Some users noticed that the issue doesn't occur if gapless playback is toggled off in the app's Settings > Playback.

Hey everyone,

In case you're experiencing this issue, make sure to give it a like and provide the following info (if you haven't already):

• does the app switch to the next song or is it stuck on the current one (with the timer still counting)?
  • your device's OS version
  • the version of Spotify you're running
  • whether this occurs when playing from the mobile device directly or when connected to another device (Bluetooth, headphones, etc.)
  • the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Thanks! We'll pass the info on to our tech folks so they can look further into this. In the meantime, you can use the following workaround of disabling Gapless playback in the app's settings to see if that does the trick for you.

As always, rest assured we'll keep you posted here as soon as we have any new information to share, so Subscribe to the thread to stay tuned!

Comments
Ramonmaastricht

@Glenngillings Try to clear the cache from within Spotify. Afterwards, stop the app and restart the app. Most cases it fixes the issue (with 8.9.30.433)

If not, disable powermanagement on Spotify, switch off gapless playabck, turn off equalizer.

Pretty awful needing to do all of this. I hate Spotify for not fixing soon and not providing a decent solution to paying users.

Larnu

They sounds like a different problem, @Glenngillings. The problem here is that the song's sound doesn't return unless you change track, or search to a different position in the song.

Ramonmaastricht

In my case, the issue seems to be solved:

- Phone; Pixel 7 Pro with April 5th security update

- Spotify version  8.9.30.433

- Battery management off, equalizer off, gapless playback off

After update to 433 i've cleared cache only once. The issue with music going silent didn't reoccur. Also left Spotify to play continuously over night (2 nights even) which always brought the issue back on previous version.

From another forum (tweakers.net) another user informed me he switched on equalizer which also didn't make the issue reoccur.

RedBowRiot

Information requested.

Does the app switch to the next song or is it stuck on the current one (with the timer still counting)?

Yes

your device's android version 14

the version of Spotify you're running

version 8.9.30.433

whether this occurs when playing from the mobile device directly or when connected to another device (Bluetooth, headphones, etc.)

Bluetooth and headphones 

the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

Restarted app. Discone/reconnect, unplug re plug. Uninstalled and and reinstalled.

sjperry93
Every few songs Spotify goes completely silent on a track. Have to go back and forward again for it play? Any solutions?
RobH99

Me too and it seems to be getting worse

Ramonmaastricht

@RedBowRiot you must clear cache from within Spotify menu. Restart Spotify afterwards.

FlyingWeagle

I've been having this issue for a while. When it happens it's always when a new song starts playing automatically, i.e. continuing to play from an album. The progress bar ticks up but no audio plays. I have noticed that the timer can continue well past the 'end' of the song, so the progress bar will get to 100% but the timer continues to increase. My workaround has been to tap at a random place on the progress bar and the song will usually then skip to that point and start playing. I can then tap the skip back button to restart the song.

This only affects me when I have bluetooth attached. Playing from another device (e.g. Playstation, computer) does not have this issue.

Affects approximately one in 5 songs at random.

Spotify version: 8.9.32.624

Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

b240

:)))))

RedBowRiot
Been there done that, doesn't solve anything.