Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sorting title stoped ignoring artcles (the, a, an)

Sorting title stoped ignoring artcles (the, a, an)

Plan

Premium

Country

NL

Device

FP2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3

Operating System

Android 7.1.2 (FP2) and Android 8.0.0 (Samsung)

My Issue

Since the last Spotify update this Sunday the sorting function for Title has stoped ignoring artcles (the, a, an). Sorting by Artist was still working correctly, but has gone wrong too after the update of last Wednesday.

Screenshot_20190504-000243_Spotify.jpg
2 Replies

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, @Helmi_rat!

This is simply a feature of the newest version of Spotify.  Alphabetical sorting now counts articles at the beginning of song or artist titles as the first word when sorting, so now titles that start with "The" will appear under "T" titles and titles that start with "A" or "An" with be with the "A" titles.

I hope this helps!

No Eliana, calling this a feature does not help. In fact, calling it a feature does not make it a feature, because that would mean it had added value. I cannot find any value in disregarding a standard way of collation (and yes ignoring articles is standard, just walk into a recordstore and look for albums of 'the Doors' to name a band). I have seen posts of people wanting to change the way Titles/Artists were sorted and I guess this triggered the change. But I feel the real feature would have been to give those people the choice by providing a toggle and not by making the choice for all of the Sotify comunity by changing the sorting itself.

Suggested posts