Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Android App Always Offline

Solved!

Spotify Android App Always Offline

Spotify only ever reports me as Offline using the Android app. I know I have an active internet connection on the device (The Transformer TF101 if you're interested), so that's not the problem. I can (sort of) solve the issue by reinstalling Spotify. But that solution only works for about 5 minutes, and then the Spotify app reports me as offline again. 

This is the primary reason that I upgraded to Spotify Premium, so unless the app is fixed in the very near future, or I receive some sort of compensation, I'm going to have to drop Spotify Premium from my account. 

P.S.: I have Spotify Desktop connected to teh same wi-fi that the Android device is connected to, and I have no problems with it.

67 Replies

I am having the exact issue - app is offline, then online, then offline in seconds. I have a Motorola Xoom running the latest system updates and I just installed Spotify minutes ago. I had the service months ago and, come to think of it, I cancelled it because of this issue. I hoped it'd be resolved by now. Android App is absolutely useless except for playing offline content. I tried the suggested workarounds of deleting the app, resetting it, and nothing works.

i have the same issue on my galaxy nexus. it's very annoying and i hope this will be fixed asap!!

I have the same problem after update my S2 to Android 4.0.3. I am still OFFLINE all the time and cant use the app anymore. Possible there is a problem, that I switched to SD Card "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd" after the update. Possible there are data on the memory itself that need to be deleted? I reinstalled the app and deleted all offline music before. Doesnt helped.

Same issue, S2 on 4.0.3, been offline for 3 months now (since Android 2.x also) unable to change it 😞

Tried password changing, uninstallation, cache clearing, I am giving up soon 😞

One thing I noticed though, that after clearing cache and uninstalling-reinstalling the app, it STILL remembers the names of the playlist I had back when I originally installed the app and it worked for a week or so... so something is not being cleared up by the cache clearing...

Marked as solution

For those of you with phones, as opposed to tablets, install the preview release: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Okay, I change back the directory on my S2 from "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd" back to standard ""/mnt/sdcard/", then spotify is online and work well. 

I used this hint: https://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-c...

Whats wrong with this?

@sun-e - can you start a new thread - I think your problem is not the same as the others in this thread
Cheers
----------------

So many tablets, so much trouble and they haven't fixed it yet? Can someone please tell me why we are paying money for this? more importantly, why haven't they reacted to this thread?
Marked as solution

I also have a tablet (Acer A500) and the app is always offline - I also use a samsung S2 which works great so Spotify just need to resolve for tablets. Outside of this issue its a great service and all we need is folders to be able to be used on mobile devices

Marked as solution

This problem started happening to me when I gave my sister my spotify details so she could use them, if you have someone else using your account this could be the problem?

And what if your using it youself on multiple devices?

@bartcaenen wrote:

And what if your using it youself on multiple devices?

Your subscription is a personal license to listen to music. You cannot use it simultaneously online on multiple devices as you cannot be in more than one place at once Smiley Happy

You can use the same account details on as many devices as you like though. Plus, if you are a Premium account holder you can have offline playlists on up to three devices.

----------------

I've been looking through this thread hoping for a solution.  It's rather frustrating that this is not yet solved.  I have a motorola triumph and I am having the same problem all of a sudden.  I recently signed up for premium so that I could use the app on my phone, and it worked for a few weeks, but now it always says that I'm offline (3G is working clearly, and I've also tried going through WIFI, neither work).  I've done all the things that have worked for some people - changed my password, reinstalled, logged out/in.  It's working fine on my computer, and I have logged out of Spotify on my computer before I log in on my phone so I'm not doubling up on my subscription.  Can anyone at spotify acknowledge that there is a glitch and they are working on it? Or can you look into my account specifically to see if there is an error in my account information? 

Have you updated to the new version released the the Play store today?
----------------

No after updating and even rebooting it still loses almost immediately the connection. And then you get supprised by a user interface that sucks for tablets. I'm seriously wondering why I should pay you money! You clearly have know idea what the consumer wants.

hm, well, before I could even do that, i turned my phone off and back on, and it suddenly worked.  I don't want to say that it's a problem with my phone because other people seem to be having the same issue..... but if it stops working again, and I turn my phone off and on again, I will report back.  Oh and I did try to update to the new version, but I apparently already have it. 

i have the same problem, spotify always stays offline on my android. I tried 3G and Wifi and neither worked. The main reason I became a premium member was the adroid app. And if this problem exists longer I sure will cancel it.

Marked as solution

I have had this problem for six months, when i first signed up for premium. I'm not quite sure why I've paid anyone I dime, but I keep doing it in hopes that it will start working. I upgraded to the new version of the android app and I'm still having the same problem that everyone else is. 

WIth all due respect to whoever at Spotify is (hopefully) moderating this conversation, your software is broken. You offer an incredible product that has the capability to beat iTunes and be on every computer, phone and tablet in America (or anywhere, for that matter). But how can we use the product if it doesn't function correctly? It's a testament to Spotify's utility that I've paid nearly 100 dollars despite receiving nothing I was promised in return. That will no longer continue. 

Reluctantly, I am no longer a customer.

Guys, I took off OFFLINE MODE and now my gigs are downloading. Wee !

What do you mean with took off?

Suggested posts