Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect Issues

Spotify Connect Issues

We have one spotify account that we use on several devices.  several PC's 2 phones and a nexus 7.  Since the spotify connect feature was released we noticed that its connecting our phones and trying to control the other phone when we are NOT connected to wifi at all.  I repeat the connect feature will allow my wife to start and control spotify on MY phone over Verizon 4G LTE service NOT WIFI! This a great feature for controlling the tablet from a phone at home but when my wife and I are on opposite ends of the county and she's starting spotify on my phone while I'm at work thats just not cool and we need a way to stop this from happening.  Its said that its only supposed to work with devices on the same wifi network but that is NOT true at all.

4 Replies

It is set up initially over wifi but once done, connect will work over a cellular connection too, which can be a bit disconcerting if you left a speaker on pause then start to play music while you're out.

Connect will only start playing on another device if spotify is running there. There's also an option in the settings screen where you can select from available devices (including the one in your hand) before you start playing music. To be honest, if only you, the subscriber, used the service in accordance with the Spotify Terms and Conditions, this issue wouldn't come up.

I understand what you are saying about two users but lets be honest.. I'm not the only one who shares an account with their significant other and this is an annoying issue that nees addressed.

So....

lets say I have a company phone and a personal phone I use my  account on both devices and I leave the company phone in my office and on the way home start listening to some 2 Live Crew and much to my surprise it starts blaring out of my company phone on my desk while a bunch of stuffy co-wokers and upper managment are standing around.  Does it become an issue now?  Because this is the very issue I'm having but worded a little differently we can avoid the moral delima.

I've just played with connect between two mobile devices to see what exactly happens as this isn't the way I use connect myself. It looks to me that starting to play on one device (Device A) will only playback on another device (Device B) in the following circumstances:

• Spotify is running in the foreground on device B and the screen is active
  • Device B was the last device used to play music

I can't actually trigger the connection in any other situation so this seems to reduce the chances of accidentally playing back from the "wrong" device. So, returning to your "situation" your business phone would only start playing music if someone was actually using spotify on it at the time.

When you launch spotify there is a display at the bottom if your music is going to play from a connected device and a couple of taps will switch playback to the device in your hand.

I'm using version 0.7.9.110 by the way.

Joe, thanks for you help, I tried to reproduce this last night but was unable to.  The times that it has happened the devices were nowhere near close to each other let alone on the same wifi.  I'm not sure if that makes the difference or not.  Its happened about 4 times since the release of the feature.  

However, I was not aware there was a newer version avilable and updated both devices last night to the latest version.  Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Thanks

Suggested posts