Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Install "High Risk"

Spotify Install "High Risk"

In the last few minutes I went to Google Play to install Spotify on my Android tablet.

Norton Mobile Security flagged Spotify as "HIgh Risk". It appears to demand acces to just about everything.

Given the amount of posts here regarding security issues I decided not to go ahead.

As a matter of interest I then tried Deezer, just to see Norton's security assessment for that. Norton returned "No Risk" for Deezer.

Needless to say, this hasn't exactly given me a sense of security in continuing to use Spotify on my PC, laptop, windows phone or PS3.

5 Replies

Sometimes antivirus companies release bad so called "virus signature update" or whatever it was called and it will cause some weird false alarms. In the past I think it was Avast which flagged my Exporer.exe as a malmware which is quite odd because it is default built in file in Windows. But Avast did address that bug and asked people to manually whitelist that file.

So maybe that's the case now, you just need to whitelist Spotify and then ask F-Secure to release an update which will permanently fix this problem. It should be fixed as soon as they release a Signature update.

Hi Guys, I'm having the same issue and it's August, so don't think its a definitions issue.  But I'm trying to address this directly with Spotify.  I'll reply back if I get anywhere.  I download Spotify on the playstore on 08/02/16.

I went into my spotify app settings on android and removed permissions for contacts, phone, and storage to see what would happen. The app is still running fine but Norton still flagging as high risk.  I think this issue is about norton defining this application as high risk because if you have the paid version of spotify you can end up tranferring a lot of audio files and with certain playlist you can tell spotify to download them automatically. So i think norton is just profiling an app like this as high risk due to high data transfer....which is totally the wrong way to go and I'm surprised Spotify isnt having a fit right now while users are uninstalling a perfectly normal app.  I hope Norton responds to this soon.

I have to agree with this. I've never had any issues with Spotify but erring on the side of caution, modified the permissions. Norton has this wrong I think.

If you are correct, Spotify owes us some reassurance to that effect.   That is, state that they investigated why Norton is flagging spotify as a probable virus, and they are assuring us that it is a false alarm.   I have not yet seen anything like this, have you?This, of course has some liability aspect if they hapen to be wrong. 

Suggested posts