Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Muting Voice Navigation Over Bluetooth

Spotify Muting Voice Navigation Over Bluetooth

I noticed this issue this morning when my Google Maps navigation was silent, and so I missed a turning, and I proceeded to diagnose the root cause when I got home, and I end up associating it to Spotify.

I use Spotify and Google maps almost every day when I am driving with no issues at all, phoned paired through BT and there is no issue. However this morning, the voice was silent, Spotify dimmed the music, but no voice was heard.

However if I kill Spotify (force stop in settings) and then test the audio, the voice plays perfectly fine.

Weirdly this problem only exists over Bluetooth. If I am disconnected from Bluetooth Spotify dims the music and the voice plays. However if I am connected to Bluetooth with Spotify playing, and tell google maps not to use Bluetooth for voice (so play out of the phone speaker), it is still silent.

This has to be an update from Spotify somehow causing this, however this worked perfectly fine for me just the other day

11 Replies

Your phone is prioritizing the bluetooth connection with Spotify. Try connecting your Bluetooth first, then opening Google Maps, then open Spotify. See if the issue persists. If it does, try Bluetooth, then Spotify, then Maps. If it STILL persists, try Maps, then Bluetooth, then Spotify.

None of them work? Bluetooth is not your issue, and I'm sorry I couldn't help.

Im having this exact same issue, and it just started. Never had any issues with using Nav + Spotify. Now (no matter if I open spotify or maps first) when the music is playing the audio volume ducks but no navigation directions come across. It just annoyingly lowers the music volume everytime an instruction is supposed to come across. 

I'm also having the same issue. I will try installing an older version of spotify from apkmirror to see if this fixes the issue.

Hello all,

Old thread but did anyone ever come up with a solution to this?

I'm using the otherwise very good Android Auto app with Spotify. The lack of a voice during navigation is annoying to say the least. The music mutes but no voice!

Hi there, same problem. This problem appeared when Waze integrated Spotify function (update) but persist if I disabled link between the two apps. I did not try to downgrade yet.

Re-installing Android fixed it for me.

OK, I really need to do this since Cyanogen service is closed.....

I'll try when I get enough time for that, thank you.

Ah, you were using Cyanogen too? Same here. Can you switch to LineageOS? It fixed the problem on my OnePlus One. In fact it fixed a few bugs that had been left over since Cyanogen tanked.

Hope that helps.

Oh sorry for the delay. I would really love to do that but my adb still not discover my device even usb debugging is activated. It is out of topic here, thank you for your answser.

Fixed for me as explained here.

I have reinstalled my phone with Linegeos with a new data cable and everything sounds good now.

Thank you all.

I also have this issue.

I have tried different phones, different navigation apps, different cars and different music services. The only common denominator and the clear source of the problem is Spotify. Yes, I have restarted and/or removed and reinstalled everything multiple times. I’m so disappointed with Spotify and the lack of a solution!!

Suggested posts