Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify and cleaner apps

Spotify and cleaner apps

Hey,

I emailed support about this already but I didn't get an answer, hoping a forums post might generate more visibility. 

My name is Adam, I am representing KS Mobile and the app Clean Master. This app is designed to remove junk files from people's Android devices.

Recently we've received some feedback from our users that when they use Clean Master it can cause them to lose important data from the Spotify app. We've done some research into this issue and we've found that it's because this app is storing song and login information in the system cache.

System cache should only contain expendable data, and it's not possible for us or any of the other cleaner apps out there to protect certain bits of data contained within this location. This means that any time a Spotify customer runs a cache cleaner of any sort, there is a real risk of them losing important Spotify data.

We want to ask the Spotify team to consider moving this data to a different location permanently, such as on the SD card. This will benefit everyone, as it means that any good cleaning app will be able to avoid wiping the data, and the app users wont find their data wiped unexpectedly.

Thanks,
Adam

8 Replies

Hey Adam - great to see you 🙂

I'm going to pass this on to one of the Spotify staff and hopefully you'll hear something soon.

Hi,

I'm familiar with your app (I actually use it myself) and I've also come across users here who have used yours or similar to clear cache and lose their DL playlists.

I agree with your statement that it's confusing how the data is handled. I'm currently using Spotify with downloaded playlists on my M8 with an external SD Card. I've attached a screnshot from the App Data screen and I would have expected by DL playlists to form part of the 'SD Card Data' count. However for me it's not showing as cache, although I do recall when I was running it on the M7 I think it did count as cache which was confusing.

Just FYI, if the application is installed with an SD card present and a user downloads a playlist it is stored in:

/ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/files/spotifycache/Storage

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
Screenshot_2014-05-13-10-52-39[1].png

Thanks for the support jwylot 🙂

Unfortunately it's been a week now and still no contact from the Spotify team about this. Is there any other way to contact them other than the forms available from the main site?

Hey @AdamONeill . Meredith raised this with our Android devs last week and I can tell you that this is a bug affecting a small number of users with a very specific set of criteria. We're looking into fixing this with a future update.

So subscribe to this topic and we'll post an update once we have it.

Community Ergo Sum

That's great news, thanks Per! I'll keep an eye on this topic then 🙂

@Goodman wrote:

Hey @AdamONeill . Meredith raised this with our Android devs last week and I can tell you that this is a bug affecting a small number of users with a very specific set of criteria. We're looking into fixing this with a future update.

So subscribe to this topic and we'll post an update once we have it.

Is there any way of knowing how these 'small number of users' are gathered @Goodman? 🙂 

I'm a clean master user (great app!) It would be awesome to find a solution! This problem is really annoying

This will be easier and less difficult if spotify actually downloads the Song rather then storing it in cache, problems like this is the reason is why i moved to Google Play Music

Suggested posts