Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify auto-opens on Samsung S8 (not playing music)

Solved!

Spotify auto-opens on Samsung S8 (not playing music)

Weird stuff. When I unlock my phone, Spotify opens up automatically. Not playing music, just opens the app. This has also happened when I have answered the phone and also at random when the phone is inactive on my desk. I never listen to Spotify on desktop, so not related to that topic.

Any advice? Tried reinstalling but the problem won't go away.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

If the Spotify app is launching on your Samsung device automatically after unlocking it, we'd first suggest trying a clean reinstall of the app trying the steps provided this Spotify Answer.

If this happens when you're using a Bluetooth connected speaker or other device, we'd also recommend re-pairing your devices after the reinstall. There are steps on how you can do this here.

It's also a good idea making sure that your devices are up to speed with any software updates available. 

If none of these help, we'd recommend starting a new thread in the related Help Board with more details on your issue. We'll be happy to lend a hand there 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

20 Replies

This is happening to my S8 Plus as well. Any answers yet?

I recommend downloading the Malware Bytes app or something similar from Play and running it as a first step.

I'm trying a forum tip now. I have the Galaxy Gear S3 also, with the
Spotify app installed. The tip was to uninstall the Spotify app on the
watch. Apparantly the two don't match very well.

Did the scan, no malware found. Any oher sugestions?

ps. Running Spotify on a Samsung S7/Android 7.0

So I uninstalled Spotify on the Gear watch, and the problem is now solved.
Don't know if this solution applies to the rest of you guys, so I won't
mark it solved just yet.

It happens to me at the moment. Not related to wat h as I've never had one. The full app doesn't show up, it starts up on its own in the notification area at the top of the screen. Galaxy S8.

In this thread one of the devs said "

There's an issue that makes the app start playback when regaining audio focus (after a phone call and other "interruptions")[1] and it's not connected with the issue originally reported in this thread [2].

The good news are that the bug has been identified and the fix is coming. It will probably take some days to be released on Google Play, so please be patient. 🙏🏼

If this is extremely annoying for you, you can try swiping off the Spotify app from the recent apps list after you use it."

Same on LG G6

S8 plus with me. Similar issue.

I do notice that the app opens when ever I put my gear s3 to charge at night. Music doesn't start playing since I'm logged out. But every single time I set my gear s3 to charge the spotify app on my phone decides to open.

It happens when you disconnect from Bluetooth and reconect again. The solution is to change spotify to "stream on wifi".

Ok after investigating this a lot I found out that the problem is the widget. If you remove the widget it gets solved. It's not necessary to change it to "stream on wifi".

This worked for me:

Settings > Apps > App Manager > Spotify > "Set as default" > Clear defaults

This had been happening to me as well... I would plug in the charger - Spotify would turn on. I would enter the car with Pandora playing and the bluetooth would turn on and switch over to Spotify.  I would switch it back to Pandora and listen to a song and if I would try to skip to the next song - Spotify would take over. I tried this and it seems to work now.

Hope it helps!

Never thought of the watch affecting it.  I'm also going to try uninstalling it on my watch and see if it still does it.  

Very annoying when it does it though.

I use S8 and Gear S3. If reject a call or the caller hangs up before I answer it starts to play on my watch automatically. It is really a big problem. Also it never plays offline if I don't disconnect and re-connect.

I uninstalled spotify from my Gear S2 and the problem of spotify on android starting on its own went away.

Has there been an update on this? Im still having the same issue. Tried everything that was suggested but nothing has worked (and i dont have any wearables). 

This is still happening to me with s8/gear s3 frontier...Every time I restart the phone spotify opens and I'm not even logged in.  Is there a solution for this issue yet? March '18

Uninstalled Spotify on my Gear Fit 2 Pro and the problem stopped for me. 

I use Huawei phone and Gear S3. I have also the problem that If I reject a call or the caller hangs up before I answer it starts to play on my watch automatically. Very annoying! Theres have to be a update coming to solve this problem!?

Suggested posts