Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can not cast to chromecast audio and chromecast

Solved!

Spotify can not cast to chromecast audio and chromecast

Today I am trying from 2 diferent devices (a Samsung Tab S and Samsung S7 edge).

On Chromecast the screen with the 3 dots appears but after a while it drops the connection and returns to my backdrop images. On Chromecast audio i can hear the connection sound but after a while it drops the connection too.

Until today it worked (not flowlessly but that is for an other time)

Every other app connects and casts to both chromecasts without problem.

I have the latest version of everything: OS, app, chromecast.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ours are also working this morning without changes to chromecast firmware or app.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the app since being affected by the problem yesterday. I previously uninstalled and reinstalled without improvement.

Problems that can be reproduced like this don't fix themselves, so looks like it was a server side problem and possibly caused by recent changes from Google Cast to Google Home. Well done Spotify and thanks for the music 🙂

To answer the queries from Grace at Spotify:

1. When did this issue with Spotify begin?   
CHROMECAST STOPPED PLAYING SEVERAL TIMES LAST WEEK.
COMPLETE INABILITY TO CONNECT WAS ONLY FROM FRI 4th NOV and SAT 5th NOV.

2. Are your casting device, router and Chromecast all within 15 ft. (4 m.) of each other?
YES

3. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the Spotify app? 
YES

4. Are you having issues casting other apps? 
NO - GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC AND POCKETCAST WORK FINE

5. What's the make and mode of your casting device and which firmware/OS is it running? 
GOOGLE NEXUS 6: Android 7.0 NBD90Z
ONEPLUS ONE: Android 6.0.1 MOB30Z
IPHONE 6S: iOS 10.1.1 

6. Which version of Chromecast do you own? 
I HAVE CHROMECAST AUDIO with 1.20.66189

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Hi apos, 

I bought a Chromecast 2 device (TV not audio) today and I'm experiencing the same issues as you. YouTube, Netflix etc all work well, but Spotify loads and then returns to the homescreen with images. There is another issue with Soundcloud, just FYI, but this is beyond the scope of this community. 

I tried streaming Spotify on 2 devices - iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S4 and the same issue occurs. I reinstalled the app, did a factory reset on both the Chromecast and the Samsung but to no avail. 

I sometimes manage to connect after trying for like 10 times, but it's really frustrating. 

Help please! 🙂 

I am having this problem also with my Chromecast Audio today.
My wife and son have the same problem. Galaxy Nexus 6, Oneplus One, iPhone 6s.

We all have premium accounts.

Occasionally over the past week I had noticed my spotify would stop playing on the chromecast, but I could restart it. Now it will not connect at all.

Our Philips system with built in Spotify Connect still works flawlessly.

Chromecast firmware is 1.20.66189

Everything seems to work this morning and the connection is fast on both chromecast and chromecast audio.
I don't know what caused it and how it was solved.

Same here. Seems to work perfectly again. apps on android devices and apple devices haven't been updated.

as long as it works 🙂

Marked as solution

Ours are also working this morning without changes to chromecast firmware or app.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the app since being affected by the problem yesterday. I previously uninstalled and reinstalled without improvement.

Problems that can be reproduced like this don't fix themselves, so looks like it was a server side problem and possibly caused by recent changes from Google Cast to Google Home. Well done Spotify and thanks for the music 🙂

To answer the queries from Grace at Spotify:

1. When did this issue with Spotify begin?   
CHROMECAST STOPPED PLAYING SEVERAL TIMES LAST WEEK.
COMPLETE INABILITY TO CONNECT WAS ONLY FROM FRI 4th NOV and SAT 5th NOV.

2. Are your casting device, router and Chromecast all within 15 ft. (4 m.) of each other?
YES

3. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the Spotify app? 
YES

4. Are you having issues casting other apps? 
NO - GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC AND POCKETCAST WORK FINE

5. What's the make and mode of your casting device and which firmware/OS is it running? 
GOOGLE NEXUS 6: Android 7.0 NBD90Z
ONEPLUS ONE: Android 6.0.1 MOB30Z
IPHONE 6S: iOS 10.1.1 

6. Which version of Chromecast do you own? 
I HAVE CHROMECAST AUDIO with 1.20.66189

Experiencing the same problem today. Seems like most folks wait a while and it goes away. Wondering if that will happen this time. Using a Galaxy S5, worked fine a while ago.

Me too. I have
- a Sony SRS HG1 speaker with 'chromecast built in'
- and a Chromecast Audio

I have been using them both fine - individually and set up as a group - with my Sony Xperia Z3 for some weeks. Mostly with Spotify. And all still working fine today.

I have just tried to set up my wife's Samsung A5 however and all is not well. Set up via Home App seems fine, both devices and the home group display...
In Spotify however,...all devices show as available...
- Sony HG1 (via Spotify Connect)
- Sony HG1 (via Google Cast)
- Chromecast Audio (via Google Cast)
- Homegroup (Chromecast + HG1) (via Google Cast)
I can't connect to any of the Google Cast options... If I select any of these (via Spotify) I get a connection sound from the speakers connected but then Spotify just defaults back to whatever I was previously playing from.

Please help!

Thanks

Same issue. Samsung Galaxy S7, Chromecast Audio. Casting works from other apps, Chromecast is visible in Google Home, but not via Spotify. Once in a while it works, but mostly not.

Have tried resetting Chromecast, reinstalling Spotify with no luck.

Google home app -->
account settings -->
media account -->
Spotify.
works fine!!

Thx for your advice! I have disconnected Spotify in google home and it works. Lets see how long 😉

I had alsow systematicaly problems with Spotify on chromecast ultra.

And now my solution: if Spotify can not see chromecast shutdown all apps on your phone. Make sure that amplituner has video signal output in use. Hdmi port is not active if tv is not on thats why Spotify can't see chromecast. Now go to Spotify it will work. Now you can shut off tv it will still work. In my amplituner is enough to enter menu no need to shut on tv. Enjoy!

Howdy fellow headscratchers! 

The Spotify app on my android phone doesn't  give the option to cast to my beloved Chromecast dongle. 

I'm now casting via my Google Home app (which allows you to stream anything on your screen to the dongle.

It's working well, but my TV doesn't show the album art. Drat I miss that. 

FWIW, you can do this to stream audio from any online streaming radio stations. Put your phone into sleep and you don't have suffer a crappy web page picture (until you use the phone for other stuff).

Spotify, please correct this!

check this: if Spotify can not see chromecast shutdown all apps on your phone. Make sure that amplituner has video signal output in use. Hdmi port is not active if tv is not on thats why Spotify can't see chromecast. Now go to Spotify options and find devices avalible. It will work.

BR

Tried that and still does not work. I have spent so many hours trying to get this flaky rubbish to work. So frustrating. Everything can be seen in the home app. Sometimes they apoear in spotify and simetimes they dont. When they do appear i cannot connect to them!!

BTW i am using chromecast audio

I know it hurts. I have Chromecast audio too. Not use it much. Lately tryed to connect it and after 30min. I gave up.

Reset wifi ruoter by plug out from the wall for 30s, reset Chromecast, restart phone.

Be strong!

I bought 3 Chromecast audios for the sole purpose of being able to stream Spotify throughout the whole house and it was the biggest waste of time and money! It takes about half an hour of messing around to get them to work, only for them to cut out two songs later. I've tried everything in the book dozens of time and nothing works for more than 20 minutes... However, I tell it to play on my Amazon fire stick and it works perfectly every time. If only I could do that throughout the house.

Also, for those looking to do this: once you finally get it to work, Google takes over the playback so it's nearly impossible to switch songs without a major hassle...

Very disappointed in this mash up.

I have 2 chromecast audio's and have given up. Easy money for Google.  I have spent so much time trying to get these useless pieces of **bleep** to work i cannot see the point in going any further with them. In the bin they go and time to look for a proper well engineered solution as opposed to a cheap device for the masses that does not work. 

My Chromecast Audio devices had major problems when streaming in a group.

One of two stayed most of the time in standby, or suddenly disappered from devices cast list. Sometimes the stream suddenly stopped.

Disabled "Airtime fairness" in my routers WLAN settings, and now my chromecast problems are gone. 

Be sure to have these router settings enabled:

Multicast, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), IGMP snooping

Optional enabled: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)

Be sure to have these router settings disabled::

AP/client isolation, proxy servers, IGMP Proxy, virtual private networks (VPNs)

Suggested posts