Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 with Samsung Knox

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

I have been using Spotify without problem earlier. I had to recently perform a factory reset on my Galaxy Note 9 and re-install the Spotify application. When I try to open the app, it immediately closes down. I tried multiple things: clear cache/date, re-install the app again, test without Wifi,... No difference.

Note that Samsung Knox is enabled on the device (this is a company phone)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

Samsung recommended to apply the latest patch. I was finally able to download & apply it today. It solved the problem for me.

Check that you have got "Android security patch level: 1 April 2020". This should be the solution.

Br

/Vincent

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hey @20100,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Besides performing a clean (as opposed to a "regular") reinstall of the Spotify app, it'd be good to reach out to Samsung's customer support and double-check whether the business security features of your device are preventing Spotify from running if you keep experiencing what you reported. 

Furthermore, before launching the freshly installed app and since the device's factory settings were recently restored, it'd also be good to double-check you’re allowing the app to run in the background and disabled any task-killer, cache-cleaning or battery-saver apps since they might prevent Spotify from running smoothly both online and offline. 

Let us know how this goes. We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey there,

Same problem overhere: new S9 with knox and spotify won't open at all.

Hope we can find a solution..

Best regards

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the clean re-install and get all possible permissions to the Spotify app but it does not help. Will contact Samsung & let you know

/Vincent

Still no solution but I eventually got in touch with Samsung B2B support which stating the following:

We currently have escalation ticket in progress with our back-end team. We were able to re-produce the issue on other Android devices which also use Android 10 (i.e. Google Pixel and Motorola).

More to follow I hope...

I have the same issue..

Note 9 with Knox. Even a factory reset didn't solve the problem.

Premium cancelled till this is fixed!

Dear community,

I have the same problem on a Samsung S9 - Android 10 with Knox.

The Spotify app stops working after I clear the app data.

I tried reinstalling the app, wipe the system cache, etc ... nothing works.

Do we need a system update?

Thanks and regards,

Davide.

Marked as solution

Hello,

Samsung recommended to apply the latest patch. I was finally able to download & apply it today. It solved the problem for me.

Check that you have got "Android security patch level: 1 April 2020". This should be the solution.

Br

/Vincent

I have the same problem now in July with latest software installed. Company phone with knox, just wiped and Spotify won't open.

Hi,

I just updated my Samsung galaxy s9 with Knox to the latest patch, and Spotify stopped working again. I had this issue before and it probably was resolved by the April release as mentioned in the solution. However I'm now on the June release, and Spotify again refuses to start.

I've also encountered the same problem on my s9 with knox. Spotify's won't start after latest security update!

Have now experienced this too. Changed out a broken Note 9 for a new one and Spotify just keep exiting immediately after trying to open it. Phone software is fully up to date along with the 1st July 2020 Security Patch level.

Any help would be appreciated.

Same problem, tried uninstalling, removing cache, wiping cache partition etc etc... I'm on a fresh installation of galaxy S9 with Knox. 

I ended up solving it, but it's not the cleanest or most secure solution out there perhaps:

• Uninstall your current version of Spotify.
  • Download an old version of the Spotify apk from the internet. (this is a bit "shady", I know).
  • Install and open that version.
  • Now head straight into Google Play Store, search for Spotify and press "update to latest version".

Now it works 🙂

This is a mess... I've had this same thing happen before,  after some updates it started working again. But the last couple of weeks the error returned...

Seems like there's no final solution to this?Gonna cancel spotify subscription, YouTube music works without problems and you have YouTube premium in that deal too...

This solution worked for me, although when I try to go in to the spotify settings it crashed out again. At least I can listen to music again. Thanks originalpink.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

Glad to hear the latest patch worked for some of you. If you're still experiencing this issue, you can try running a clean reinstall with these steps. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues. If that doesn't do the trick, you can also try with another network. 

If you have any battery optimization apps, you can deactivate them for the app.

Just keep in mind that as this seems to be very specific to Samsung Knox, it might also be a good idea to get in touch with their support and see if they can also help from their end.

Also, keep in mind that we don't recommend to download versions of the app other than the official one here.

If the issue still persists, you can share with us what Spotify and Android version you're running. We'll investigate this further. 

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts