Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify folder corrupted my SD card on my Galaxy S5

Spotify folder corrupted my SD card on my Galaxy S5

I have used the Samsung EVO SD cards all along. I had one card awhile back that started unmouting itself after using Spotify. I figured it was just a bad card so I ordered a new 64gb Samsung EVO min sd card. Again, same thing happened. The card had only been used for about 5 days and has never been in anything but my phone. I was using spotify and the card becomes corrupted.

I have tried running checkdsk and formatting. Windows cannot format it and checkdsk points to the spotify folder. After some investigating I found the folder that caused all this. It is at spotifycache>Storage>5b. Folder 5b is corrupted and is causing all the issues. Windows wont let me delete it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

30 Replies

Disk manager should let you format the partition. Once done create a new volume in the empty space and then pop the card back in your device

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Disk Manager gives me an error at 90% completion saying "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I should also add that when I attempted to delete the folder itself Windows gave me error 0x80070570 and is unable to delete 

@MIKEB315

What happens if you try to format the card through the phone itself?

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I dont even get the chance.  The phone attempts to mount it then unmounts it in a never ending loop

try using a dedicated partition manager rather than windows.

There are a couple of good free ones from the likes of Paragon or EaseUS

Android Troubleshooting:

Thank you for the suggestions I tried both programs but neither work. I'm at a total loss here. It seems that if I want to continue using spotify I need to stock up on a mountain of SD cards and prepare for them to fail at any moment. I just don't understand how Spotify can corrupt too perfectly working SD cards. Fortunately I have good backup habits and did not lose any photographs.

So where do I go from here? I don't want to stop using spotify but they've already destroyed $40 worth of SD cards. I'm also afraid that if I continue to use Spotify it will corrupt my phone itself

I really don't think it's spotify. There's no way just writing to the SD card would corrupt it. I really think you should speak to the retailer you bought the SD card from and arrange a replacement.

Android Troubleshooting:

Those are good quality cards you have there. I don't think they can be so easily corrupted by any app.

Try using them in another phone to see if you get the same results.

There's also a great Windows program to check SD cards. Might prove useful to you:

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-...

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The card was purchased through Samsung so I dont beleive it is a knock off.  ALso, SD formatter is telling me the card is write protected.  Obviously, I do not have write protection enabled and the swtich is in the correct position.  I have also tried changing the registery to unlock the "wrtie protection" outline here.  

As for spotify causing this, I am 100% convinced its Spotify.  The only common demoninator is Spotify. On both cards a folder in the spotifycache>Storage area became corrupted.  A google search also shows I am not the only one with this issue.  That particular folder is also the only file I cant move on the SD card.  I can take my pictures on/off, move music, rename things.  Just not that particular Spotify folder.  As I said before too, attempts to delete the folder gives me an error and no program seems to be able to format the card.  This is definatley Spotify. 

It definitely is Spotify!

As I wrote here recently, I started downloading a LARGE playlist at home via wifi and left. On the road, I realized that only half the playlist had finished downloading as I left my wifi zone. Spotify/ device started behaving weird, so restarted device only to find that all my downloaded tracks were no longer accessible. Didn't bother too much until now, when I realized that my encrypted micro SD is not listed in my device anymore and all my data is not accessible anymore!

What to do now?

Device is a Samsung S5 Mini and card has been encrypted using device.

Spotify is installed on local device but save folder for songs and playlists was designated to SD card.

I really want to find a way to get back the content on the SD card as it is absolutely invaluable to me and I think it issue outrageous that we paying users are getting left out here in the rain alone with this is, when a simply Google search clearly shows that there are many users with the issue, dating back MANY YEARS!

Hi

Got myself same problem with Sandisk Ultra CL 10 32 GB SD card on my HTC Desire 620.

After few hours, sometimes 1-2 days Spotify was corrupting my SD card while using downloaded offline files (no matter which quality) - so I tried every suggested on this forum and else suggestions eg. chkdsk, diskpart, SDFormatter and else to recover my sd card.

Got it to work by formatting it with my girlfriends android phone (Sony Xperia) - but the result was the same - Spotify was still corrupting SD card on my mobile.

Then I tried installing other SD card on my mobile, also SanDisk Ultra CL 10 but 16 GB - same corrupting situtation here.

So I got my hands on some generic 32GB SD Card but this time with CL 4.

Sucess!!

My mobile is still working with Spotify offiles files (max quality) and other android functions with SD card - no problems to report. Also I noticed it is working faster than CL 10 card 😐

So my question is - can You relate to my conclusion that the SD Card Class (transfer speed) is the thing that is messing with Spotify making it to corrupt our SD Cards?!

Also I'd like to point that this is only a way to bypass this problem...

Spotify should work on it, because it was so close for me to leave this platform beceause of this bug (not me only I can guess).

I have had this same problem with my Note 4. I have now corrupted 2 Samsung EVO SD cards I got for Christmas. One a 32 GB and 1 a 64 GB. Originally I used the 32 GB for pictures from my phone and Spotify and the 64 GB I ONLY used for Spotify and now both cards can't be formatted in my phone or from a PC.

I had this exact same issue with my galaxy s4 and now again for the first time with my galaxy s7. On the s4 I had to return the card to costco for a new one (sandisk 64g class 10's) and recover all of my pictures, spotify music, files etc. From a backup I thankfully had. It never happened again until now with my galaxy s7 and a Samsung EVO+ 128gb class 10 SD card. 

Common Denominators: Galaxy phone; reaching spotify download capacity on an SD card (brand, size and quality don't seem to matter); Spotify suddenly loses visibility of all previously downloaded songs as being on the card; Cannot format SD card with any of the methods already mentioned on this and other threads; the SD card can no longer be used by the phone ex. as save picture location.

I ran into this same problem, I have a Galaxy S3 Neo with 64GB Sandisk card.  Once I tried to listen to my downloaded music, but it crashed my phone, and after the restart, my downloaded music was gone.  I didn't bother checking into it, because I was travelling in the car. I then downloaded a playlist, just to realize on the Road again, that half the playlist was missing, then a few days later, my phone started acting strange, continously freez. I removed the sd card, ran chkdsk, windows scan, shows no error.  I ended up doing a slow format on a PC, then put it back in my phone, the card works now, but I haven't tried downloading a Playlist, not sure I should if there is a chance to kill my card anyhow, as I see more than one occurance of this.

it's easy. I had the same issue and IT IS SPOTIFY as it uses crypted files to protect the download of music under the premium account and prevent it to be user on a basic account switch. once you download a large amount of music, it affects all the other data on the SD card. It's a rally heavy bug that will make me delete Spotify.

Already switched to Deezer months ago 😉

I was originally using Deezer too but then our cell carrier started offering Spotify premium free with our plan and that's why I made the switch but 2 wreaked SD's later I regret it..

Can confirm this. 3 SD cards dead on my galaxy s5, different manufacturers. Spotify was THE ONLY SD CARD USING APP on my phone. My playlist contains ~1500 songs in offline mode and I use only shuffle. I guess this strains the **bleep** out of flash, when songs are allocated in big encrypted blocks.

Suggested posts