Premium

Country

NZ

Device

(iPhone 5SE)

Operating System

(iOS 12.1.4)

My Question or Issue

When I return to Spotify after an hour or so, the song that was previously playing is no longer in the play section at the bottom. It's like the app resets itself after a short inactive time, sending me to the home screen. This means that I'll then restart the playlist I was playing before, hearing the same songs again. It also means I can't just open the app and hit 'play' because there is nothing selected to play anymore. 

I've tried reinstalling the app (which just removed my downloaded songs), closed other apps in case it was a memory related issue, and reset the phone itself. Nothing has worked yet. 

Help.

6 Replies

Re: Spotify forgets previous 'playing' song when closed and reopened

Hey @Designic.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Could you make sure that you don't have any cache-clearing or task-killing apps on your phone? This might be a reason why Spotify "forgets" what song you were on.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here if you need any further help.

PeterModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.
And it's my job to be present." - Maggie Rogers

Designic
Casual Listener

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Unfortunately I don't have any cache-clearing or task-killing apps on my phone. Nor do I close it from the multitasking tray. 

Any other suggestions?

Hey @Designic,

This behavior can depend on the setup of your cache and whether it's built in a way to free up memory whenever possible. This can be expected on some devices, and the Play queue may be resetted.

Hope that explains things! 

JemiModerator
"Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf

Designic
Casual Listener

Hi Jemi, 

Thanks for your idea. 

I've checked the local cache for Spotify and there is 1.44GB of data in there so I doubt that it has been reset recently. There is also 36.12GB of free space, so it's not like it's running out of room either. 

Hey @Designic.

It's dependent on your device, if the current state of Spotify gets remembered when you stop using Spotify. There can be multiple reasons to this, some of which @Jemi and @Peter mentioned.

• Not enough system memory (not internal storage)
  • Battery saving mode enabled
  • Cache/memory clearing apps
  • Peak performance Capability has been enabled due to a deteriorated battery (You can disable this in the Settings of your phone)
  • Any other apps that can influence the overall performance of the phone (in a good or bad way)

Find out if you can fix any of these. Hope it will work then! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

Designic
Casual Listener

Thanks

• I've checked the system memory and it's using a completely acceptable amount (4.79GB)
  • I ran the phone in low power/battery saving mode for a day, having the app inactive for hours at a time, and it remembered the current track fine. 
  • There are no cache/memory clearing apps installed, nor does the iPhone do this automatically. 
  • The battery is currently still providing 'peak performance'
  • And I don't have a huge amount of apps open in the task tray either. 

The only other things I have noticed was that happened when Spotify said: "no internet connection" (even though there was; it was just dropping out of WiFi and connecting to 4G as I drove down the drive).  When it finally connected it had forgotten the current track and returned the app to the home screen. 

The other instance was when I didn't open the app for 24hours—which doesn't happen often. It had forgotten the last played song. 

SUGGESTED POSTS