Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify free on Kindle Fire HDX

Solved!

Spotify free on Kindle Fire HDX

I tried to use Spotify on a Kindle Fire HDX, and considering it's a tablet, I was hoping that I'd be able to use the free version of Spotify where I can play any track.  Unfortunately, it's saying my Kindle Fire is a moble device and not a tablet, which of course is not the case.  Is there something I can do to help Spotify recognize that the Kindle is a tablet, so I can stream on demand music?

Thank you!

81 Replies

I just was notified that my kindle HDX needed to update spotify and it appears to be the free version mobile and other tablets have. I'm just now testing it out. 

Marked as solution

Can confirm by looking at the app store page it appears to now be up to date! 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Updated, yes. But still broken. The Kindle Fire is a tablet, yet only shuffle play is allowed.

No demand play? I'll pass that along to the staff.

Hi @silbaco -- we're unable to recreate this. On a Kindle Fire for us, we're getting on-demand streaming as it should be.

What version of Spotify is it you're using on that Kindle Fire? Is it setup exactly as it came when you bought it, or has it been rooted/jail-broken or anything like that?

Also, a screenshot showing the full screen including the Shuffle Play option would be helpful too.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I have 2 different kindle fires and spotify only allows shuffle on both. I deleted the program and reinstalled. I also deleted the cache through the settings and it still only allows shuffle mode. The version is 0.75.698

Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing on the app? That'd be helpful.

Also, is the Kindle Fire setup exactly as it arrived from Amazon?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

We have two Kindle Fire HD's which have not been rooted.  It only allows shuffle play and does not allow on demand streaming.  Basically treats it like a phone.  Using latest version of Spotify from Amazon store.  Not at home, so cannot post pictures.

edit: after one final reset, reboot etc it finally kicked on for me...I'm not sure how or what I did, but I can verify that it is working now...at least on my HDX 7.

Though it does have that audio cutting in/out issue that I mentioned before while streaming over bluetooth though that could actually be a kindle/amazon issue as my wife's galaxy tab doesn't do it.

Having the same problem here. I originally had premium from a gift card, then a couple of weeks it updated to the mobile version once the subscription had run out. Ever since I've only been able to shuffle play despite being on a tablet. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted cache etc. but still nothing.

Added a screenshot as I noticed nobody else has.

Edit: I'm on a Kindle Fire HD though, if that would make any difference? Also, in the UK and it hasn't been rooted or anything. Screenshot_2014-02-09-13-55-53.png

Screenshot_2014-02-09-13-56-16.png
Screenshot_2014-02-09-13-56-24.png

I just did a factory reset on my Kindle and it is still not being recognized as a tablet.  I just logged in for the first time and it says "NEW! You can now shuffle music for free on mobile. Play any artist, playlist, or radio station. Start Listening."

Playlists are available as shuffle only. Version 0.7.6.343 is the latest version available to me in the Amazon store.

0.7.6.343 should definitely have the new free tablet mode in it - not sure what is going on here!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Is there still no fix for this issue? I must admit it is becoming a bit frustrating.

Any news on this? I just received a new Kindle Fire HD yesterday, and after I installed Spotify, I was told I could only use shuffle play. I had an older version of the Kindle before this, and was able to use Spotify the same way there as I do on the PC. Not the case now.

What version is shown in spotify settings?

It's version 7.8.566

That is the latest version, thanks. I'm not sure what's going on here so I'm going to ask the staff to take another look.

Thanks. Like I said above, I had an older Kindle (the 2012 model), and Spotify worked perfectly there. But on the HD, I'm told I'm only allowed to use Shuffle Play.

Still not working with my Kindle Fire HD's.  We have two.  May be a problem unique to the HD's.

It seems like it is something with the HDs. I just tried Spotify on an older Kindle Fire and it works perfectly. I can select, start, and stop tracks all I want. The HD is still telling me I can only use Shuffle Play however.

Suggested posts