Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify need to improve their search algorithm

Spotify need to improve their search algorithm

I'm posting in the Android section, but it's actually a general issue.

The search algorithm is not really up to what users would expect in 2019. We are all used to Google, we expect to type something and get meaningful results even if what we type is not 100% correct. Youtube Music has the power of Google's search engine, while Spotify is really lagging behind. I've often had issues finding stuff on Spotify, many times I thought that some songs or albums weren't on the platform, just to discover that it was a search issue.

As an example, I typed for "la mia ragazza sempre" (which, in Italian, means "my girl forever") and got no results. After investigating, turned out that the correct title of the song was "la tua ragazza sempre" (YOUR girl forever). Sure I wasn't remembering the exact title, but if I do the same on Youtube Music, Google is able to understand what I'm looking for and shows me the correct result. See the attached screenshots.

This is just an example, my feeling is that either you type an almost exact match in the search box or you don't get results. As I said, this is not what users expect nowadays.

spotify screenshot.png
youtube music screenshot.png
1 Reply

No replies unfortunately... Am I the only one who feels that it's an issue?

Another example of a trivial mistake that brings to the correct result on YT music but not on Spotify:

Youtube MusicYoutube MusicSpotifySpotify

Suggested posts