Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify offline playlist using mobile data if app is set to "online"?

Solved!

Spotify offline playlist using mobile data if app is set to "online"?

Hi!

I'm planning to install a little bluetooth device in my car which let me stream music from Spotify etc. to my car radio. Now if I set the Spotify Android app to "Online-Mode" while playing a playlist which is saved on the device (for offline use), will spotify use the offline-stored version or stream via mobile data anyway?

So the main question is: Is it safe to let the app running in online-mode while playing an offline playlist? I don't want Spotify to kill my monthly free amount of 500MB mobile data. But I also want it to sync for new tracks if there are some new.

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Florian

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @Hoax

Spotify should use the offline version of your song.

I can speak to you in English, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本, 普通话, 廣東話, 한국어, Tiếng Việt

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
I'm not a Spotify official! Just here to help!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @Hoax

Spotify should use the offline version of your song.

I can speak to you in English, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本, 普通话, 廣東話, 한국어, Tiếng Việt

Hi. Thank you for your answer.
"Should" use, or "will" use? Are you sure about this?

I was hoping that this is true. Would be awesome! 🙂

Thank you!

I'll test this out right now.

@Hoax

Just tested it out, turns out that songs only use 5 - 10kbs per song. 

However, when Spotify loads with cellular, it will take 40kbs, so if you close Spotify, and enter back into it, it will takes 40kbs.

Ah okay. Thank you for testing this out.

Maybe the 10kbs per song are something else not Spotify-related. I will check this out, too, as soon as I own such a device.

Hello @Hoax, Welcome to the community! 🙂

@Ambivalence Is correct, Spotify will use the offline version if you leave it online, but you can always turn offline mode on in spotify settings, thus you can leave mobile data on and spotify wont attempt to connect to the internet 🙂

What you probably meant was ".. if you leave it online...". Am I right 😄 ?

Thank you all for your support.

Agree with all of the above, however as mentioned there will be minimal data usage whenever the Spotify app is connect (even when playing an offline playlist). The purpose of this is to to check in with the server to make sure the right metadata, album art etc is being used as well as to report back what you are listening to in order to make sure the artist get's paid their royalties.

But it's minimal; if you are really worried then just put the app in 'Offline Mode', just remember to connect at least once a month else it will stop letting you play any tracks.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

@Hoax

Yes i did mean online, my bad 🙂

Suggested posts