Solved!

Spotify playback notification disappears after a few moments of an ongoing song

Plan

Free

Device

Xiaomi Redmi 9 Prime (Redmi M2004J19C)

Operating System

Android 11 RP1A.200720.011

MIUI-V12.5.1.0.RJCINXM Stable (it is the operating system of Xiaomi that works along with Android)

My Question or Issue

Whenever I play a song on Spotify, the playback notification on the lock screen and notification panel appears showing the option of Back, Pause/Play, Forward. It is a great help for me since I can quickly control the song with these options by just clicking the buttons on the playback notification instead of going to the application. However, recently this bug has started taking place with me where the playback notification disappears after a few moments of an ongoing song when I keep my screen closed. 

Steps fo reproducing the bug-

1. Open Spotify application.

2. Play any song.

3. Check whether the playback notification has come.

4. Close your screen.

5. Wait for a little bit (I cannot really say this precisely, maybe a few minutes, it also happens randomly but I am pretty sure it is there).

6. Open your screen to find the playback notification getting disappeared. 

The temporary fix for this issue is to close the application and re-open it to recover the playback notification. But it starts happening again.

(Also, yes I have allowed notifications for Spotify.)

This is happening for me in Spotify version 8.6.72.1121. (This also used to happen in predecessor versions.) 

This does not take place with other playback applications especially Spotify Lite.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @ItadoriYuji,

Thanks for sharing this extensive description with us.

Sorry to hear that you're having such an experience with the app.

We'd recommend running a clean reinstall of the app. Please follow the steps from this Spotify Guide exactly, as this will assure that all app data is cleared completely, before reinstalling.

Also, make sure that Battery optimization is not enabled for Spotify from the system app settings, as well as that the app is granted all permissions. These settings could be hindering the performance of the app.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @ItadoriYuji,

Thanks for sharing this extensive description with us.

Sorry to hear that you're having such an experience with the app.

We'd recommend running a clean reinstall of the app. Please follow the steps from this Spotify Guide exactly, as this will assure that all app data is cleared completely, before reinstalling.

Also, make sure that Battery optimization is not enabled for Spotify from the system app settings, as well as that the app is granted all permissions. These settings could be hindering the performance of the app.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your response to my query. It is highly appreciated. I have tried all the steps in your answer until I reached the step of disabling Battery Optimization. Before disabling Battery Optimization, this issue used to take place after a few minutes. But after disabling the stated setting, the playback notification remains for more than an hour with my screen closed. So I am glad to say that the issue is resolved.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Hi there @ItadoriYuji,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're really glad to see that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful start of your weekend.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello, I would like to ask if this bug has been investigated. My situation, although similar to Itadori's, actually happens in the app. Not only that the playback notification disappears - there's also no controls of the playback from within the app. All along the music continues playing. The temporary fix works, and it is really annoying. The clean reinstall is too expensive for me for the data. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever the playback controls disappear it is paired with a short interruption of the playback.

Hello

I believe this bug has been mitigated several months ago. If I remember right, then 2 weeks after I faced this issue, it appears this bug was from Xiaomi's side, not Spotify's. This used to take place with me in MIUI 12.5.1. As of now, I am on MIUI 12.5.3 in which this bug is fixed. 

You should try checking for your OS updates. If there are any, then download and install them. That should do the work. Now, even with Battery Optimization enabled, the playback notification remains.

I have the same exact problem but on an iPhone. Could you help me pls? Thanks

Hey @MiKeyDex,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sending us the model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're currently running?

On another note, if you haven't yet, we'd recommend starting off by performing a clean reinstall of the app on your device. You can do it by following the steps in this article.

Lastly, we'd suggest (as mentioned by @Alex) you make sure that Battery optimization is not enabled for Spotify from the system app settings, as well as that the app is granted all permissions.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I'm using Spotify v 8.8.74.652 on my android phone, OnePlus 9RT 5G. The playback notification (the one that has play, pause, next and previous track control) frequently gets missing both in the notification bar as well as the lockscreen. I have to toggle my notification settings for Spotify on and off in order to bring it back but after sometime, it disappears again and I have to do the same process again. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the app but to no success. Rebooting my phone doesn't help either.

I have also faced this issue in previous versions like, 8.8.64.554,8.8.48.523  

Please suggest a permanent solution to this trouble.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

India

Device

(OnePlus 9RT 5G)

Operating System

(Android 11)

I followed this guide step-by-step but still the notification issue persists

https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485

Hey @archz2,

Thanks for posting.

Would you mind testing this with a different account? If a family member has a Spotify account, it'd be great to ask them to log in on your device to see if the app behaves the same way. This will help us understand if it's account related or not. 

In case the issue persists, we'd recommend that you check this website as it seems to be a device issue. 

Hope this helps. Take care 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

Spotify playbar disapears from lockscreen and notifications when paused for to long. I have to get my phone go in the app and press play again.
This also means i can't start my music again but tapping/putting in my earbuds.
Ive searched but only found people who have the problem also when playing music. Mine specificly dissapears after i pause for to long.
The set time for it to disapear is different everytime.
Ive disabled battery saving and used developer settings to allow the maximum amount of background proceses. Still it disapears

Phone in question,
Oneplus 7 Pro
Android 12

Hey @User_Threllius,

We moved your post here as the issue seems to be very similar (if not the same), hope you don't mind 🙂

Please take a look at the abovementioned steps & solutions. In case nothing helps, let us know and we'll gladly take a further look into this for you. 

Many thanks!

VasilModerator

Hey @Vasil,
The issue is very similar except my playbar dissapears when I pauze spotify. I usually do this through my earbuds or lockscreen. So i dont even touch my phone or only use the lockscreen. Spotify is still runnin in the background when opening my phone. And  when I press play again by opening the app after unlocking my phone the playbar appears again. But dissapears again after pausing for a uncertain amount of time. I know it dissapears within about 10 to 20 mins. But it used to stay on my lockscreen aslong as i didnt close spotify. Meaning i could pause it the entire day and it would still be on my lockscreen.
The above solutions have not helpt, As mentioned i have battery optimisation disabled and even used developer mode to allow more background processes.
A clean install has not helped.
Ive had it through multiple spotify versions and 2 android version. It started on android 11 but only at the late stages. So i thought maybe android 12 will fix it. It didnt...
Current spotify version: 8.9.10.616

Hey @User_Threllius,

There should be an option in your android settings that may help here:  look for Hide player when the media session has ended (should be located in Sound & vibration, but this may vary depending on your phone's manufacturer) and make sure it's toggled off. It's also worth double-checking if the Spotify app has all of its notifications enabled.

Hope this helps. Cheers 🙂

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey @Yordan,
I wasnt able to find this setting under sound and vibration i also coudnt find it elsewhere. A google search didnt help, it said to search for hide player. But 1 thats on android 11 and im running 12. And 2 my phone is in dutch and not a single translation was able to find this menu.
All notifications for spotify are enabled and allowed.

Hey @User_Threllius,

I was able to dig up a few more reports about your issue from other Oneplus users on the web and all evidence points to this being device-specific, so I'd recommend reaching out to Oneplus support for more steps on how to solve this.

Please, do let us know once you find the root cause of the issue.

Cheers!

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts