Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify saving songs & using space even when online?

Solved!

Spotify saving songs & using space even when online?

I cleared all Spotify data (and re-logged in), so I'm starting "fresh".

I have NO playlists set to sync for offline use

Spotify is in online mode.

If I then look at the DATA used by the Spotify app, it grows and grows as I listen to music, consuming space on the phone.

• Is Spotify caching songs I listen to in case I listen to them again (to save bandwidth in future)?
  • Can I turn off this behaviour?
  • Is there a limit to how big this 'cache' of songs will get?
Screenshot_2014-05-20-11-29-05.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

To rapidly answer your questions:

Is Spotify caching songs I listen to in case I listen to them again (to save bandwidth in future)?

Yes

Can I turn off this behaviour?

No

Is there a limit to how big this 'cache' of songs will get?

No, but you can can clear the cache from the Settings menu of the app at any time. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

To rapidly answer your questions:

Is Spotify caching songs I listen to in case I listen to them again (to save bandwidth in future)?

Yes

Can I turn off this behaviour?

No

Is there a limit to how big this 'cache' of songs will get?

No, but you can can clear the cache from the Settings menu of the app at any time. 

Peter

Hey there @user-removed!

Like the desktop client, the mobile client also caches your music. This helps users not to go over their data limits. Currently, there is no option to prevent caching. I'm not sure on the cache limit, but in a previous post I read, it appears that once the storage is full on your mobile device, the cache will be cleared. Although you can clear cache and saved data by going to the Spotify App > Settings > Delete cache and saved data. 

Edit: @Peter__ beat me to replying again lol.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Thanks

> No, but you can can clear the cache from the Settings menu of the app at any time. 

• Which means I have to log in again and reset the settings in the app, right?
  • And if I did have SOME offline content I'd chosen to sync, that would have to re-downloaded?

I.e. It's a case of "all or nothing".

You are correct. The cache will grow over time, but for example my application hasn't been removed in a long time and it is only ~500MB.

Peter

Ok, so there is some limit (a % as suggested by @Merik, perhaps) as I've seen mine grow to twice that...

Unfortunately, clearing the "data" from the app settings also remove any downloaded playlist. Clearing "cache" from app settings within Android does not do much.

Spotify ought to implement a selective database compacting option, to reclaim space that has been freed up (logically but not physically) on the flash memory. 

It's absolutely counter intuitive that in order to regain space (that the user didn't agree to occupy), someone has to delete ALL data, playlists, and settings from the device.

Please make an option in order to reclaim the flash memory space when deleting offline songs/playlists!

Suggested posts