Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify says "no internet connection available", but will play SOME online music

Spotify says "no internet connection available", but will play SOME online music

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung S21 Ultra

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

Got an S21 Ultra a few weeks ago. Ever since, Spotify is almost always saying it is offline, and that there is "no internet connection available". HOWEVER -- it will let me listen to any music or podcasts that are in my library. It will NOT let me select a song from a playlist, album, etc., but will play if I start it with "shuffle play", at which point I can turn off shuffle and skip through the tracks as normal.

Every other app on my phone accesses the internet just fine at all times.

I have updated the app, uninstalled and completely reinstalled multiple times. I have turned "offline mode" on and off several times. I have cleared the cache. Nothing makes a scrap of difference -- approximately 80% of the time, it starts up like this and nothing seems to make a difference. The other 20% of the time, it starts up JUST FINE, but eventually the stated problem always crops up, whether I'm sitting still at my desk connected to the wifi, driving around with a strong 5G connection, anything in between.

Attached is a screenshot. 

Screenshot_20220104-162925_Spotify.jpg
67 Replies

Hey @daphnebluestrat,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Could you let us know the version of your Spotify app on your S21 Ultra? You can check that under Settings > About.

If you haven't already, try logging out everywhere by following these steps:

1. Go to your account page.
  2. Scroll down and click on SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE.

Then, clear the Spotify app's data from the Settings of your Samsung S21 Ultra:

1. Go to Settings > Apps.
  2. Tap Spotify > Storage > Clear data.

Repeat these steps for all other mobile devices that you may have signed in to and downloaded music for offline listening. Once ready, restart the Spotify app on your Samsung S21 Ultra.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Spotify app version is 8.6.88.1104. I have once again cleared the app data.
After doing that, it says I am offline -- it said I was online before.

Hey @daphnebluestrat

Thanks for your reply 🙂

By any chance are you using a VPN or a private DNS? If you are, this may be causing the issue as VPNs are not supported by Spotify.

On another note, could you let us know if the issue persists in case you turn off 5G and use the 4G network?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I do not use a VPN, either on the phone itself or on my home wifi network
(obviously can't speak to other networks, but it's unlikely).

I had tried turning off 5G and just using 4G; it switched to saying I was
online at first, but after a few minutes it went "offline" again.

Welcome to the "S21 and Spotify doesnt work" club...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-App-loads-forever-on-Android-12/m-p/5321476#M183987

Think we have similar or even same problem.

Hey @daphnebluestrat,

Thanks for the reply.

Make sure that Battery optimization is not enabled for Spotify from the system app settings, as well as that the app is granted all permissions. These settings could be hindering the performance of the app.

If you're using an SD card, you can also remove it, run a clean reinstall once more and see if the issue comes up again afterwards without the card. This way we you can check if the issue is related to the SD card at all.

We'd also recommend going through your phone's apps and checking if there is s Spotify duplicate. This can sometimes happen on some phones where the Spotify app comes preinstalled and can cause issues like this.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I've the same problem not s21 but A52s 5g, but the same android 12, oneui 4. My other Spotify devices, well just pc and my mac (haven't checked for a while) work just fine with internet, shows up all searches. But not on Spotify phone. I've premium, up until today this problem wasn't there. I can't see any lyrics, I can play all my offline songs and even shuffle Playlist or directly play, there's no shuffle option for me like the other user mentioned but when I tap the play button it does play the first track. Pls resolve this issue quick. I think it's oneui 4 related issue, I'm Pretty sure it's not my internet as my other devices work. My mobile data doesn't work either though, wifi doesn't either. Seems like an app glitch. Well it worked in between and it's back to no connection, it works in between for some time then doesn't. Quite annoying. Can't search any podcast or song or a anything other than offline downloaded ones. Hope it gets fixed soon.

The attachment: I'm playing a song which isn't downloaded seamlessly and so can I see many Playlist and albums on home. But no lyrics.

The Spotify app behaves as if it is in offline mode. But some weird in between stage.

Screenshot_20220306-011534_Spotify.jpg

Hey there @IRONBLASTER36

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, have you already tried the suggested steps in this thread?

On another note, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

Lastly, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update either of Spotify or the OS of your phone.

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Well I've taken the step given before, even logged out. I've elaborated a lot on in support, but chat and email. Currently working through email, they did ask me to test some stuff, doing that rn, well it failed so I'll be waiting for their reply on mail. And well idk if the Oneui and android 12 caused it or not but my issue started mildly since like weeks ago to now which is unbearable as I cannot search songs or add to queue, download without adding to Playlist and no lyrics. My other devices work fine, and as said by pure luck sometimes it starts normal but gets back to it again. 

Hi @IRONBLASTER36,

Thanks for your reply and for the info you've sent.

In this case, we suggest keeping in touch with our Support team for a follow-up on this matter.

If you need help with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

I am also on an S21 Ultra and having the exact same issues as OP. Went through the troubleshooting steps, but to no avail. Any tips that haven't yet been given?

Hey @ViolentPacifist1,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know what exact troubleshooting you've went through so far so we don't repeat ourselves?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I found a solution

Go to Settings, then Lock Screen, then Widgets, and disable the option labelled 'music'. Force close Spotify and restart the phone. 

You'll have to live without music controls on the lockscreen but it fixes the problem.

Shows "no internet connection available" only on wifi. Mobile data works. I've tried clean reinstalling, restarting the phone after clean reinstalling and tried another account on WiFi, which shows the same message. Samsung device btw

Hey folks, 

Thank you for keeping in contact.

Great workaround @playhay, thanks for sharing this info.

To keep investigating your issue @Abhere, could you check if it happens using a different WiFi network or a mobile data hotspot as WiFi? This will give us a better look at the connection problem. 

We'll be waiting for your response. 

OscarDCModerator

Oh really?? I kinda wanna try that. Can you show me how? (If possible) 

Thanks!

I was able to solve this issue on my Samsung S10 by disabling the private DNS in settings -> connections -> More Connection settings -> toggle Private DNS to Off

Works with both wifi and 4G network with this which earlier was always showing "no internet connection available" and I am able to access search results beyond library 

Hope this helps 

Cheers

The "solution" of clearing data is a pita! If you have 10 Gig or more of downloaded music & have to download it again.

Not to mention that while posting this reply, Spotify popped up a survey on my phone, which wasn't easily visible as to why my typing input was halted.

Doesn't work on S21

Suggested posts