Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify search not functioning

Solved!

Spotify search not functioning

<->I have only just downloaded spotify on my Galaxy S4 and either cannot understand how to use the search function or it is not working. I have the latest version from the playstore, I have followed the guides to clear dta etc, turned phone off and back on, reinstalled Spotify but still get the same thing. I go to search and no matter what I type in it just sits there with my text in the box and does nothing, am I supposed to do something else once I have typed the text or is it supposed to find things automatically?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have found the solution, partly from the responses on here but it is not obvious and I think this may help others.

Holding my phone upright, as you would, tap on the three lines and then tap on search and you get a text box and the keyboard as expected but whatever you type just sits there as there is no magnifying glass or anything else available. This is where I was stuck. When one of the replies mentioned tapping on something after typing I had another go but for no particular reason turned the phone on its side, now when you tap on the three lines then search you get the keyboard up and the text box but now there is a search button to tap after typing. Turn the phone back to upright and it opens a new search without the button.

Doh! I only just now noticed the magnifying glass symbol on the keyboard, I must be getting old, technology is suddenly beyond me.

Thank you very much for the replies

View solution in original post

23 Replies

You need to tap the magnifying glass symbol on your virtual keyboard.

For me (Sony Xperia S) it is the return key.

Marked as solution

I have found the solution, partly from the responses on here but it is not obvious and I think this may help others.

Holding my phone upright, as you would, tap on the three lines and then tap on search and you get a text box and the keyboard as expected but whatever you type just sits there as there is no magnifying glass or anything else available. This is where I was stuck. When one of the replies mentioned tapping on something after typing I had another go but for no particular reason turned the phone on its side, now when you tap on the three lines then search you get the keyboard up and the text box but now there is a search button to tap after typing. Turn the phone back to upright and it opens a new search without the button.

Doh! I only just now noticed the magnifying glass symbol on the keyboard, I must be getting old, technology is suddenly beyond me.

Thank you very much for the replies

I have the magnifying glass - but when I tap it, nothing happens (the keyboard does not appear)....

SC20140429-133454.png

Try swiping down to open notification center then going back to Spotify. Does that work? This has been reported to the Spotify guys.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Try restarting the client, it should work now. 

This has been fixed in the latest release that is rolling out now.

Same problem here, trying to search songs on my HTC flyer. Standard keyboard, nothing w

Could you try reinstalling spotify app.

Nope, still not working..  Occasionally, after pushing all over the screen, the keyboard shows up.

Sorry if this is a bit basic but does the keyboard not appear when you tap in the search box?

Euh well that is exactly the problem, I can tap/push/click everywhere I want..

@jwylot wrote:

Sorry if this is a bit basic but does the keyboard not appear when you tap in the search box?

Sorry, I had to ask. Can you just confirm your phone make/model and the android and spotify versions please.

Hi!

Do you use the standard keyboard, and which version of android and Spotify are you using?

Hi all,

HTC flyer with standard keyboard.

Spotify: 1.1.0.113

Android: 3.2.1 (HTC sense 1.1)

I know it is a cheap old tablet, but I still think it should work... 😉

Does it appear if you drag down the notification bar then close it again (seen this reported previously)?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:
Does it appear if you drag down the notification bar then close it again (seen this reported previously)?

I have seen that reported, but I have no idea what a notification bar is.. Is that the menu bar on the side? I can open and close that all day long and still no keyboard..

Thinking of just moving to Google play if it stays like this.. I can only play my favourites or recommendations.. ;(

It's the bar at the top showing your battery, signal etc. In any app, just drag down from the top of the screen.drag down from the top of the screen.

It's a tablet running Honeycomb, it doesn't have that..

@jwylot wrote:

It's the bar at the top showing your battery, signal etc. In any app, just drag down from the top of the screen.drag down from the top of the screen.

Sorry, you did say. Have you tried downloading the latest version of spotify?

Suggested posts