Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify starts playing randomly on my Android device

Solved!

Spotify starts playing randomly on my Android device

Every now and then while listening to Spotify on my laptop, the Spotify app on my phone will launch and whatever song I was listening to will resume playing on there.  My phone is locked when this happens.  This is extremely annoying.

This started happening about 2 weeks ago.  Not sure if the problem lies with the Android app or desktop client.  Any idea why this is happening?

145 Replies

I disabled the web player from my computer and it has seemed to have done the trick for now. I'm hoping that fixes it.

Turns out that didn't solve it and is now an issue on my laptop as well.

What worked for me was:

1) change password

2) re-download all offline tracks

Still hasn't worked for me. What also happens is when I open up Spotify, it brings up a message saying do I want to continue listening on my phone or on web player (Chrome). I don't even use web player which is weird. It also keeps playing songs from a playlist I have never seen before as well.

Try logging in from a PC, remove all available devices and sign back in
using your app.

Tried that multiple times and still no go unfortunately!

Did you try deleting your cookies and clearing your cache as well?

This happened again today. Everything is updated-ish:

Mac OS 10.10.5, Spotify open but not playing

Samsung Galaxy S7, whatever Samsung's latest is, Spotify not open

Ubuntu 16.04, Spotify not open

Spotify started playing on the Android device while I wasn't using it.

I have 8.4.39.673.   armV7

Sitting in an interview and all of a sudden Spotify starts blasting out some 90s alternative.  Very embarassing but lucky the guy liked the song.   

amusing the 1st time but after the 4th time of just randomly starting to play music between seperate 10 minute intervals after closing the program, its very embarassing.  

HELP...... 

Keith022 i see only 3 ways to finally 'fix'/mitigate this issue:
- powerdown your phone
- go into settings and kill all spotify tasks when you stop using it and pray that they will not start when you don't want to
- uninstall spotify and cancel premium

I have a 8.4.39 and I noticed that my daughter will be listening to a song on 1 of my phones and turns it off. It will then start playing a while later (10 mins) on a 2nd locked phone in an alt room. 

My android app will connect with a random iPhone and play their music without being prompted, and when I switch back to my phone, it will automatically switch back to the iPhone a second later.  I can no longer choose what music I listen to on my phone app.  Any idea what is causing this?

Has been happening to me several times aweek. I have a Samsung S8 running Nougat.  App version 8.4.39.67 armV7.

Tried reinstalling, didn't work. 

Has been happening to me several times aweek. I have a Samsung S8 running Nougat.  App version 8.4.39.67 armV7.

Tried reinstalling, didn't work. 

my phone, google pixel2 XL starts playing spotify randomly. It's horrible. 

It also skips back to the beginning of a spotify playlist in the car, running android auto. It will also skip to another song, maybe garble that song, and then restart the playlist or skip to another song. 

I've tried spotify on my wife's iphone, different cable, in the same care. Issues persist, but are not as bad.

Has been happening for weeks. Spotifycares support is useless on the issue.

Its happened in the past to me and yes the help is woeful.

Just started to do it again after any phonecall or message.

I am going to switch to another provider of music because this is intrusive and unworkable.

After a phone call it's common problem on android platform, if the app doesn't correctly track playback then it could mistakly start playback.

It's related to functionality that pause music on phone call, when you get call - music is paused, when call ends the music is restored.

I did find this bug on multiple players, I assume it's hard to handle this feature correctly but it still should be fixed by spotify asap.

This started happening for me this morning. Waking up to music at 5 am is cool, but not when you don't need to be up by then.

I noticed the same problem during the day as well, every now and then Spotify on my phone starts playing, seems to be at random.

Help?

I was experiencing this issue too. What fix it for me, was asking Google Assistant to stop playing it. I think what caused the issue is when I launched Spotify by asking Google assistant. And then at some point I pause the music, but the Google assistant would continue and try to play it

so you did what, said "hey google, stop playing spotify" ?

Suggested posts