Spotify starts playing randomly on my Android device

Solved!

Re: Spotify starts playing randomly on my Android device

ALANBIERMANN
Casual Listener

1. Which version of the Android Spotify were you using the last time this happened? 8.40
2. Were you using the Spotify Connect device picker (That would be the screen you see after tapping on "Devices Available") in the Android app before the issue (even if you used it many hours before)?

No

3. Did the sound come out of the Android device itself or it was connected to a Bluetooth A2DP device (Headphones or Speakers)?

Listening on my PC for about 10-30 minutes without any interaction with either device, and then paused on my computer, and continued to play on my phone.

And I did not see this before the issue, only after I switched it back to my PC

GoMrPickles
Gig Goer
  1. Device and Spotify version (on both devices).

2. Operating system (on both devices).

MacBook Pro 5,1; Mac OS 10.10.5;

Spotify 1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2

Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 7.0, Spotify 8.4.1.846 armV7 (set to autoupdate)

1. Is this happening over WiFi or 3G/4G?

WiFi, 5GHz home network
  2. When did this start happening exactly? Was it after an update?

Several months ago

3. Have you tried reinstalling the app or device? Does it help?

Nope.

Also, the formatting on this text box is pretty rough.

Highlighted
Solution!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone, thanks for your patience with this.

If you're on the latest updates of the app this should be sorted for you since version 8.4.1.

If you're still having any trouble please confirm your app version and we'll continue to help. Thanks!

lazywil
Casual Listener

Have been using 8.4.1 for about a week and, so far, this has not happened ever since the update. Congrats, guys!

stemeta
Regular

The latest update seems to fix this issue so far, a week into using it. 

But a new problem came up, both the android and iOS spotify are not displaying chromecast (all other apps are recognizing chromecast fine)

Joe
Community Legend

Hi @mdelolmo. I experienced this for the first time today, first as I left home and my phone switched from wifi to LTE and again a couple of hours later when it detected a wifi hotspot.

• Device - S8 plus
  • Spotify version - 8.4.3.479
  • I did select a connect device yesterday
  • The music played from my phone speaker - the only other device it was connected to (via bluetooth) was my gear S2.

Spotify
Spotify

@Joe,

Hmmm that's strange. The issue most people here were repoting is considered "fixed" in 8.4.1+

Just to make sure we are talking about the same issue, please confirm if this is what happened:
- "Your phone started playback automatically (Without any interaction with the Spotify Android app at all) when your phone transited from your Home's Wifi to the cellullar network and again when it connected to a Wifi hotspot"

- "You had use the Spotify Connect feature in the Android app the day before"

Joe
Community Legend

Yes that's exactly what happened except that it ddn't connect to the hotspot, merely detected it. The app wasn't running on my android and was in my pocket,locked, on both occasions. I had used connect a day earlier.

One other thing I noticed was that spotify accounted for 6% of total battery usage on the day even though I didn't use it so I guess something was going on in the background.

EDIT

It started playing Bad Man's Song from the "Songs to test headphones with" playlist which I haven't listened to, as far as I recall, at 1600 local time. No idea if it is possible to find out what caused this from your logs. It then kept trying to play the same track three more times while I was out.

caligreen
Still randomly starts after I hang up from a call even if the app is closed... I'm gonna cancel if this continues

user-removed
Not applicable

Wunderbar.

And Lyrics ?  You know, that feature you deliberately removed well over a year ago, but promised would be replaced soon....  Any news on that feature coming back ?

SUGGESTED POSTS