Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify takes forever to load and stops

Spotify takes forever to load and stops

Hey guys,

I've been having problems with my phone app lately and frankly I don't know what to do anymore 😞

On either on or offline mode my Spotify app takes forever to turn from the dark gray background to for instance my Playlist interface. Even in offline mode the app takes a lot of time to "load" a song. Sometimes it pauses the rendition several times during a song or after two or three songs. 

I've tried reinstalling it, clearing the cache, restarting my phone etc. As I'm paying for Spotify premium I find it quite disappointing to not be able to rely on the app 😕 From time to time it helps to close the app and clear the cache, but it's not fixed in the long run. 

Hope someone can help me fix it, as I miss my playlists not being remixed by lags :///

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9

Operating System

Newest Android update

14 Replies

Hey @Blueberrybatwom thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community

I would actually recommend doing a clean reinstall on your device. It might also be beneficial if you can restart your device, although it sounds simple, it can help from time to time.

Finally, if none of those work try clearing your cache and data by following these steps:

Step 1: Head to the Settings menu.
Step 2: Find Apps (or Applications, depending on your device) in the menu, then locate the app that you want to clear the cache or data for.
Step 3: Tap on Storage and the buttons for clearing the cache and app data will become available.

Here is a video to help with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PeUOLLk0s

Let me know how it goes,

Jack 🙂

Sorry but this seems to be a on going problem since two days ago for me and I have followed all steps above and it has not helped quite frankly I'm disgusted a piece of software I pay money for on a monthly basis is now faulty I might at this point cancel my subscription 

I needed to do this every single time I used the app for the last 3 weeks or so. With today's update it doesn't help anymore. 

It's happening again. It is so frustrating, switching or pausing songs, switching tabs in the app, opening playlists, menus, anything. It's horrible. Sometimes it loads for 3 minutes between songs

1. I have the same issue, and I've already tried the solutions above to no avail. Would be nice to get some actual help.

Hey folks!

Apologies for the radio silence on this thread!
Could you as a first step head to this article and go over all the described complete clean reinstall steps?
This will ensure there's no leftover app data on your devices.

In case the issue comes back after doing this, please leave us the following details:

1. Your device model
  2. Its OS version
  3. Your Spotify app version

We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂 

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I went over all the steps for a clean reinstall and I am still facing the same issues. I removed all my downloaded songs as well but nothing changed. 

The odd thing is, that sometimes Spotify also takes ages to load my liked song playlist which I have completely downloaded. Switching between download songs also buffers for a very long time every now and then. 

I have a Samsung A54 running Android 13 with Spotify version 8.8.90.893. 

Well its not surprising from a mid range phone temper your expectations

Well I have a Z Flip5 and it's the same for me 

Hey @JuaniMartinez,

Thanks for posting in this thread.

Remember to send us the info @Vasil asked for here. That info we'll help us to investigate further this behavior. Don't forget to let us know all the troubleshooting steps you've followed so far, so we can avoid repeating any of them.

It'll help us a lot if you send us a video recording of this issue as well. You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Lastly, and just to confirm, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hey there,

I managed to get some screen recordings of the issues I observe, namely libraries just not loading no matter the strength of my internet connection, songs not pausing right away/not resuming, the 3-dot menu not loading, lags between songs (even downloaded ones). These lags happen in a series and it takes a while for the app to "catch up", then it's fine again.

Here a a Google Drive folder with some recordings

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YhjwxtHE4UUVq3HDcZzBKkRBqnjXNMG_

Thanks 🙂

Thanks for the cooperation, @5A 🙂

Could you also answer the following questions, so we can get even more details:

• Are you using an SD-card?
  • Does the same thing happen with your Spotify account on another device?
  • When did you notice the issue, was it after an update for example?
  • Have you tried with a different internet connection?
  • Have you tried with another account on your phone, maybe a relative's or a friend's account?

Hope to hear from you soon.

ElenaModerator

Hi Elena,

I am not using an SD card, the songs, and the application are on my internal storage which is about 50-60% filled.

The issue does not occur if I use the Spotify web player or the desktop version. However, the issue persists if the playback is through my phone and I connect with my computer to control the music.

I noticed this issue about 18 or 19 days ago, that was when my phone updated Spotify.

The issue occurs with various connections, including mobile data and Wi-Fi.

Using someone else's account on my phone produces the same lags.

Regards

Hey @5A,

Seeing that all users in this thread are using Samsung devices, we'd recommend checking the suggestions on this site or reaching out to Samsung support for specific steps on how to disable any battery- or memory-optimizing services that might be affecting the app.

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts