Switches devices without a warning

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung 8 and iphone 6

My Question or Issue

I used to have an iphone and when I would listen to spotify, when I logged in, if my partner was using the account, it would ask me if I wanted to takeover the music. I was aware he was using it and so I wouldn't steal the music away from him.

I recently switched from the iphone to a Galaxy s8 and I no longer get any warnings that I am stealing the stream from him when I log into spotify. He will be listening/streaming and when I open my spotify account it automatically switches the stream to me. I used to get a pop up that said, do you want to start listening on your device? and I no longer receive that. 

I checked the notification settings but do not see anything where this message option would be appear.

3 Replies

Hello @crassly!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. No worries though, I'm here to help 🙂

Well, maybe that issue is because one of you is using "private session". That way, nobody can see if they're listening to music.

Check that in settings, if that doesn't help I'll see what I can suggest next.

Have a nice day, Jose.

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello, thank you.

No that is not it. We both have the same login and when I open my app it automatically steals the stream and plays on my phone. I do not want that to happen though. It used to be that when my husband was listening on his phone, if I opened my app, there would be a pop up that said "Casey is listening on ____ device, Do you want to listen on your device?" And then I would say no.

Now, when I open my app, the audio/music automatically switches to me without asking if I want to take control. However, when I keep the spotify app open, and switch to it, it doesn't seem to take the control. This only happens upon freshly opening the app. I feel like this may be a bug because this did no thappen to me while I was on an iphone, only when I switched to android.

Well, that sounds like an odd issue.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Tell me if that works or not, I'll see what I can suggest next! Cheers, Jose 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts