Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switching data provider in dual sim phone cause bug in Spotify

Switching data provider in dual sim phone cause bug in Spotify

I'll do my best to describe the problem since English is not my main language.

When I use Spotify Premium on my Galaxy S7 Dual SIM (G930FD), the download music function only worked with one SIM at any time.

I have data plan on both SIMs, so I can do anything internet-related with whichever SIM, and whenever I want to switch (because better signal reception, remaining data quota etc.).

Let's say I currently able to download songs using SIM2, but after I switch the data provider to SIM1, Spotify refused to do the download as if there is no internet connection, albeit at the same time it can stream music without any problem using either SIMs. It kept saying 'Goto Settings to download using cellular' next the green download button.

I can even using that SIM1 as hotspot and download songs from my iPhone.

Airplane mode switch, restarting the phone, deleting Spotify app cache, wiping Android's cache partition didn't solve it. I'm not sure how to reinstall Spotify without losing 8 gigabytes of downloaded music, and I don't use external SD Card.

The only fix I came up is to 'force'  Spotify using the designated SIM by turning off the other SIM (SIM2) completey, either by sim card manager menu (software) or manually removing the other SIM(2). This way, it seems Spotify became able to recognise the availability of the path to the internet.

After that, I can re-enable the other SIM(2) and Spotify will now only download from SIM(1). So the main problem still persists. If I want to use SIM(1), I have to repeat the procedure again.

Cheers.

3 Replies

Yeah I've seen it mentioned before that spotify only works with one sim (I believe the one loaded into slot 2). I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether your spotify ID is linked to a particular sim card. I guess you could report it as a bug here or get in touch with spotify from their contact page.

Thank you for your kind reply Joe, but with my findings I can assure you that neither sim slot position has anything to do with the bug.

I can 'force' Spotify to use either slot for downloading music with quick and dirty workaround I mentioned in my previous post.

To me it seems in dual sim configuration device, Spotify app refuses to acknowledge that there is more than one 'path' to reach it's download server.

In my country, only one cell provider have agreement with Spotify music service for their subscriber, but I'm not one of them.

(You can easily identify such type of subscribers with their account name; it will be their exact cellphone number, yikes! no, thanks.)

Therefore I'm assuming Spotify only recognize me through my device IDs, regardless of my IP or internet provider.

Spotify please fix this stupid bug. There are many many phones that are Dual SIM in the market. Even SAMSUNG has released Dual SIM phones. You are lagging behind with making your app compatible with all of them.

Suggested posts