Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Syncing error - "no space left on device"

Solved!

Syncing error - "no space left on device"

I recently did a reset on my phone and now have Spotify syncing to my SD card. Music has been syncing correctly but after a while (such as when I tried to sync another playlist today) I get the following error.

"Syncing error

Offline syncing has stopped as there's no space left on this device."

However, there definitely should be space left. The SD card shows 26.48 GB free out of a total 29.76 GB. (That's 3 GB used for the existing spotify cache.

For what it's worth, there äs also 1.1 GB free on the device memory and 3.74 GB free in the internal storage.

I have already tried clearing the Spotify cache and re-syncing everything but the same error comes up after a while. Is there some kind of limit coded into the app? Any what to get all my music to sync?

54 Replies

Yes, true.

I forgot to say that the folder was on my external SD card, not the main card. Not so strange, as this was where I stored my offline music..

Hi, solved the issue by updating tot the newest nightly of CM 11 for my Samsung S4. Also i reformatted the SD on the phone from settings menu>> storage. Great, now i van sync on my 64GB SD.

So bottumline,
Remove all offline storage in spotify settings
Uninstall spotify
Format SD from phone after maling a backup
try formatting tour sd
Try install spotify again, seach the play store for "spotify music"
Try again
If this nog help update SGS to may 29 nightly or newer

This is certainly a bug with potify and notyour ROM. It's happeneing on my NExus 7 as well as my SGS4, from what I can tell it seems to be part alzy programing in not clening up after itself and part a bug that is not getting picked up.

No, you don't need to format it. At least I didn't. Just delete the com.spotify.music folder under Android\data on all/both SD cards.

I did remove the com.spotify.musical folder many times on both SD and internal memory. However, the ROM update + SD format did work, nothing else did. So the solution is not for everyone the same I guess. However, I agree the app does not clean up correctly, but I didn't actually found the exact root cause.

This was the solution I had been searching for!  Thank you very much!

Where do i find the com.spotify.music on my Galaxy s3 ?

\android\data\com.spotify.music is the full path.

That folder is located in your phone storage ( internal ) under /data/com.spotify.music and in the sdcard: sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.music. , you must use a file explorer app (as far as I know galaxy has one by default)

I had the same issue. Tried to clear app data and reinstall several times, and for every iteration the offline synchronization would stop earlier (so I could store fewer tracks each time).

Apparently some sectors on my SD card have become corrupted over time, because what finally helped was a reformat (using Android built-in function) and after the format the total available space had decreased, as if some sectors have been marked bad. Thanks to Sharks99 for this hint.

IMHO Spotify should say that there was an unexpected error while writing to the device and advice to check or replace it instead of just claiming the SD card was full. The display of a full disk together with the information "58.5 gigs free" is misleading to say the least.

I documented the erroneous behaviour of Spotify with screenshots, maybe it's of help to others. Texts in the screenshot are German but I've written english descriptions under them.

http://imgur.com/a/sGhkL

Yeah none of the above worked for me. Im sorry but im dumping spotify. Maybe they should reeducate their dev team. The app seems a mess from what i have experienced on ios, android and windows. For instance in Windows you cannot prevent the app installing and using large paerts of your C drisk. Come on guys that was back in the 90's devs got way with that crap! Another lost customer here.

Hi, I see this is your first post so can you clarify exactly what your setip is, what the issue is and what have you tried?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

@drblodski wrote:

Yeah none of the above worked for me. Im sorry but im dumping spotify. Maybe they should reeducate their dev team. The app seems a mess from what i have experienced on ios, android and windows. For instance in Windows you cannot prevent the app installing and using large paerts of your C drisk. Come on guys that was back in the 90's devs got way with that crap! Another lost customer here.

Hi, I see this is your first post so can you clarify exactly what your setip is, what the issue is and what have you tried?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Also getting the same problem. I have another 4GB of system memory left and then around 30GB left on my SD card. Tried reinstalling the app after clearing the cache but now I'm geting the same problem again.

Edit: So I've been able to get around this by just ending the process after that message comes up. Then completely restarting the app and doing the download again. Sometimes I need to do this multiple times, particularly for bigger playlists, but so far this has completely solved the problem. Prior to this I had reinstalled the app so this may have also made a difference.

I'm having the same problem, but I still couldn't get some workaround to work.

It began after I updated my Android yesterday, and from all apps I used to install, Spotify it's the only one crashing. =(

I'm on android 4.1 (Samsung galaxy trend lite) and I've been having that problem too...

If I log out and log in, I'm usually able to download about 10 songs before having the problem again.

If I uninstall spotify, format my sd card and install spotify again, it sometimes works for a couple months, but eventually the bug will happen again, and I will have to reinstall and download all my music again.

This is really annoying, and the reason why I will switch to another music streaming service next month. Too bad, I used to like spotify 😞

Ditto, Galaxy S2 with 120gb (of 125gb) available. It has been stopping halfway through every song for a week. Uninstall, reinstall then after 30 songs it consistently tells me... "Syncing error- No space left on device".

That's S5.....dang auto correct.

I'm having the same problem but with my iPhone and still have space left 😞 I changed my phone (5c to 5s) and I had my playlist in offline mode completely , after I changed gives this message 😕

Hi,  I've dealing with the same problem on my android.

It  says I dont have any space left on the device, which is not true, I have 2,80 GB + 570 MB on SD card.

if anybody could help me out with another solution since i dont want to change storage location to my sd card as it has less available space than internal memory

Suggested posts