Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Too many issues...

Solved!

Too many issues...

So I recently decided to be brave and move from my iPhone 4S (have been an iphoner since 1st gen) and moved to the new Samsung Galaxy S3.

All is going great and I am enjoying the device, but, my spotify experience has been completely ruined.

First of all - for some reason, whenever I exit Spotify and open it, lets say after 15-20 minutes, I am completely logged out, and my entire downloaded playlists are DELETED, I mean REMOVED, I mean VANISHED from my phone for no sane reason. This is driving me insane, I am downloading before heading out, want to enjoy my well paid Spotify Premium subscription, but hey, all my downloaded playlists are GONE and i have to stream and milk out my data plan, right.

Second - Why can't you make the app send out song names through bluetooth?! Your iPhone app does this, your iPad app does this, but no, your android app can't do it. It is such a simple implementation that your very fine coders can easily do.

Third - So I stream the songs with my data plan, enjoying my music, and hey I feel like stopping at 7/11 getting myself a drink, great, of course everything is stopped (spotify is still running in the background). I get back to the car, get my stereo back to bluetooth in HOPE that the music will continue from where it was stopped, but nope, nothing, mute, i go into the Spotify app, and what do I find there, a black blank screen with no artwork (but inside the player itself), instead of getting the lovely artwork of my last listened song.

The funny part is, if i use my 4S, everything works perfectly.

So, for now I have cancelled my subscription in HOPE that you will recover from this very soon. It doesn't make sense. I'm lucky I have an iPhone so I can enjoy Spotify, but if it ain't my main phone, Spotify is useless. At home I can listen perfectly fine with the lovely ads you have running, no need to pay $9.99 a month. Spotify is made for the RUN.

Come on guys, fix this nonsesne!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello everyone,

I have been using spotify since 2010-09-16 and always been a premium user... But now i'm getting sick of it too.

At first i was paying mostly for the Desktop app which is hopefully great. But for years i've been strugling against the numerous bugs of the Android app...

We just can't accept to be considered anymore as lower premium users. We do have the right to the same mobile experience as the IOS users... It's just no fair ! We pay just as much money as they do and all we got right now is a beta version of the app. And the development rate is just ridiculous.

I heard the the Android development team is very small and they lack quite a lot of people to keep the Android App at the same level as the IOS one.

So i'm now thinking we should unite and make a petition with an ultimatum.

"We do not accept to be treated as lower customers, and we will cancel our premium subscription in X weeks".

What do you think ? i'm quite sure we could spread that petition all over and regroup the numerous Android Spotify users...

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Its funny to see this coming from a former iPhone user. If you haven't noticed from all the other threads and posts, the Android app is pretty piss poor compared to the iPhone. Better get used to poor performance. Welcome to Android!

Yeah I have and I'm trying to get the developers ears here that it is time to take action.

I have moved to Slacker for now in hope to come back as soon as all this is sorted.

let us know how that works out for you.

<----- Another non-paying user because of the issues.

Working good I guess. I still have to stream (well sort of - it is automatically caching songs) - but atleast I have a working Radio function and ermm a WORKING application.

Marked as solution

Hello everyone,

I have been using spotify since 2010-09-16 and always been a premium user... But now i'm getting sick of it too.

At first i was paying mostly for the Desktop app which is hopefully great. But for years i've been strugling against the numerous bugs of the Android app...

We just can't accept to be considered anymore as lower premium users. We do have the right to the same mobile experience as the IOS users... It's just no fair ! We pay just as much money as they do and all we got right now is a beta version of the app. And the development rate is just ridiculous.

I heard the the Android development team is very small and they lack quite a lot of people to keep the Android App at the same level as the IOS one.

So i'm now thinking we should unite and make a petition with an ultimatum.

"We do not accept to be treated as lower customers, and we will cancel our premium subscription in X weeks".

What do you think ? i'm quite sure we could spread that petition all over and regroup the numerous Android Spotify users...

jesus man, just cancel.  the whole "X weeks" thing is hardly a threat -- they have people ranting on here and cancelling every single day.  you're not going to boycott them out of existence -- there are far too many morons that are happy to pay $10/month for a barely-working app -- they probably listen to two songs a month.  obviously spotify is reacting to its market pressure.  if most of their revenue came from android users, believe me, they *would* actually produce a working app -- it's not *that* hard.  cripes, they have customers working full-time as QA/support engineers for them.  they probably make more money off of ads from their free users than they do their premium users -- they couldn't care less about their premium users, which are probably like 5% of the customer base.

@personanongrata wrote:

jesus man, just cancel.  the whole "X weeks" thing is hardly a threat -- they have people ranting on here and cancelling every single day.  you're not going to boycott them out of existence -- there are far too many morons that are happy to pay $10/month for a barely-working app -- they probably listen to two songs a month.  obviously spotify is reacting to its market pressure.  if most of their revenue came from android users, believe me, they *would* actually produce a working app -- it's not *that* hard.  cripes, they have customers working full-time as QA/support engineers for them.  they probably make more money off of ads from their free users than they do their premium users -- they couldn't care less about their premium users, which are probably like 5% of the customer base.

"if most of their revenue came from android users, believe me, they *would* actually produce a working app"

How can you even know ? There is a lot of android devices so i guess the number of premium users should be proportional.

I mean do you even know how many Android devices are activated DAILY. So NO, it's not as simple as you want it to be. Maybe they just underestimated the number of people who would like to use that application. Also they may simply think it's too much of a hassle to maintain a good version on Android since the version fragmentation is ruining it all. The second they will finish that ICS version, it will be outdated since a new version of Android will be out.

My point is WE are the customers and TRUST ME we are not just 5 people whining all day long about this app.

So what is your advice ? That we just shut it and cancel our subscription ? We need to be so obvious about it the developers will maybe one day understand that this can't continue...

Also are you SERIOUS about the fact that they make more money on ads than premium fees ? Really ? How could you know?

They had 2.5 million paying users in 2010 and i think that's even before they provided their services in the US.

Since there is a lot of limitation in the free version there is probably not that much people seeing/listening ads. At least not enough to make 25 million dollars in 2010....

Anyway thanks for your very constructive participation...

Just bring down any ideas and suffer in silence if that's what you plan to do Smiley Frustrated

I'm not sure who brings the main revenue to Spotify but it doesn't matter.

I am (still until mid July) a premium subscriber and I expect to get a working application.

Does it really matter if they get their revenues from ads or from us? no buddy, it doesn't! With your attitude all companies can just tell us go **** yourselves, you're paying but we don't care. Nope, I am paying for a premium subscription inorder to get the best support and updates, and to enjoy the product at its best.

I'm not sure if a petition would work, but at the end of the day, if Spotify keeps on losing customers slowly because of their lack of Android support (because lets face it - the main reason for purchasing a paid subscription is to use it on the go), they might pay attention.

Each customer who is canceling its subscription should clearly state in the reason that he is canceling DUE to the fact that they have a poor android support and they are not showing any signs on improving this.

I have no started this topic to get into fights and to talk about Spotify revenue and where does it come from. I have started the thread to get their attention alongside the other threads here.

royisher is absolutely right ... If you cancel then take the opportunity to tell Spotify why - if they see a large number of people leaving because of a definite set of issues then they'll fix those issues pronto. People downgrading from premium are more likely to go try another service so wont necessarily turn into ad revenue for Spotify
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

wow. don't take it personally, but you people aren't that bright.  you think spotify as a company is not aware of how bad its android offering is?  you think it's just going to take one more loudmouth thread on this forum to *open their eyes?*  you argue we should remain paying customers and just continue to complain, because otherwise they won't know how bad their products are?  no damned wonder companies can not only get by with delivering crap, but they can thrive on it!  they have no competition and they know it.  every other streaming music service out there has a terrible android app as well.  maybe android will ultimately fall due to its multitude of versions and devices it must support.  it is much more difficult to make a solid android app than an ios app.  any mobile developer will tell you that.  maybe spotify, as well as most other cross-platform mobile services, knows this.  the ironic thing is that most of the bugs in spotify's android app exist on all devices -- they are fundamental programming errors, not device-specific bugs.  software for mobile devices these days must be agile, must fix bugs quickly, must react to numerous new devices on a regular basis.  most basement-dwelling android hobbyist-developers are able to do this.  a massive company like spotify couldn't be further from it.

so, i guess just keep hoping that one day they'll "listen" -- and keep pretending that's the problem.  meanwhile, i'll buy CDs, as that's a technology that still works and doesn't leave me frustrated at every turn.

Interesting as I plan on moving from a 4S to an S3 and am already using Spotify on my iPad (excellent App) and my Tab 7.7.

For what its worth I do agree it will need a few more of us cancelling their Premium for spotify to take any notice.

When I see deals with Coke and Facebook, both of which keep spotify going, but mean absoltely nothing to me, i think we are wasting our time!

But spotify seems to want a decent android app but just choose to direct its resources to bigger priorities for them.

We should have a day of cancellations on mass, so they see a big spike in their revenue 😉 (obviously wanting spotify to survice in the long term!)

Suggested posts