NEXT STEP

Unable to stream ANY podcasts on speakers

Unable to stream ANY podcasts on speakers

Plan

Duo

Country

UK

Device

(Xiaomi Redmi 10 pro, Google Home speaker, Echo dot and Lenovo desktop speaker)

Operating System

(Muiu13.)

My Question or Issue

Up until recently, I have managed to listen to podcasts on my Google home, Echo dot and Lenovo desktop alarm clock speaker.  Now, not one podcast will stream but all other music will. 

Steps I've done

- a full delete and reinstall of Spotify app

- hard reset on both Google home, Lenovo & Echo dot.

- Disconnected devices from my Google home

The only way I can listen to Podcasts are by playing on my phone via the app.

When I try to connect to a speaker via WiFi I get the little jingle but the speaker on the app never turns green.

I tried connecting first with some music, that works, but then I cannot select a podcast to play. 

It can't be a bug with the WiFi speakers as they're different brands and have the same issue...which makes me think it's a bug?

Screenshot_2022-03-09-11-10-08-899_com.spotify.music.jpg
Screenshot_2022-03-09-11-10-18-774_com.spotify.music.jpg
26 Replies

Hi there @_hoggle,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We'd like to take a closer look into this.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We also suggest that you restart your router to see if the issue persists.

On another note, can you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persists? This will help us know if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Will try it this weekend

I did all the hard reset parts but hasn't resolved. Hoping to get a mate to log in over the weekend.  Will come back ASAP

Hi again @_hoggle,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far.

Take your time, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful start of your weekend 🙂 

JeremyModerator

Hi, I am also having this issue. I've tried streaming from my computer and phone to my two devices one a google speaker the other a lenovo clock. I can not get them to play any podcasts. It might however be my account, as my spouse can get it to work when casting from their account. 

Plan

Duo

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S10+, Google Home speaker, Lenovo Clock

Operating System

Win 11 on computer, Android 9 on phone.

Hi @SM46

Thanks for posting on the Community and welcome.

In this case, could you perform a clean reinstallation of Spotify on your devices? You can do this by following these steps. Afterwards, we recommend that you unlink you Google Home speaker, your Lenovo Clock, then link them again and confirm if you have any firmware/update available to install. 

Lastly, restart your devices and let us know if the issue persists.

Keep us in the loop.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello,
I've already done a full factory reset on the phone as well as all devices. It didn't solve the problem. I am testing this weekend with another logging in.

Will post back details

Hey @_hoggle,

Thanks for coming back.

Just to confirm, can you also make sure you don't have any firmware/updates available to install on your devices (phone and speaker)? 

On another note, @SM46 mentioned that it worked with a different account. Does it work for you using a friend/relative's account? 

Take the time you need. We'll be here standing by. 

NovyModerator

Tried a different phone Xiaomi RedMi 8 with a fresh out the box load and have the exact same issue.

So I've tried fresh resets on all devices, made sure they are up to date with firmware. Have the latest Spotify. I've checked to make sure the router has been reset and on the same 2.4/5ghz bands.

My partner tried on her iPhone se....it works ok. She logged into both my Redmi 8 android 11 & Redmi  10 Android 12 same issues, no podcasts play on Google speaker, Lenovo clock nor Alexa speaker.

I can't keep resetting my phone and devices all the time so unless Spotify can come up with something quick then I shall just cancell as I'm wasting money. 

If there's anything else or further information you need do let me know. 

Cheers 👍🏻

Also it's a shame Spotify don't have an easy way to speak to them and instead have to rely on a forum. And the help topics appear to make it impossible to speak to a human.

Any chance you've investigated this issue? 

I'm still experiencing the issue. 

Hi @_hoggle!

Does this occur with episodes from this specific podcast "Plane Crash Podcast" you have sent us a screenshot of, or does it happen with other podcasts as well? Feel free to share the URLs of some of the episodes you're having issues with so we can test from our end.

Keep us posted!

YordanModerator

It's all Podcasts. Here are just three that's I've tried. They play perfectly on my phone but none will cast. It's make the little chime noise but never connects to the external speakers.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6hzSm1xecyNTyk38vA5bJz?si=j2fQadlzQh6dxbEPE2OP3g&utm_source=copy-li...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/56IraXDU8rOA3fD6QgDWTw?si=ox8JHy7eR5eWc7_YXmr-LA&utm_source=copy-li...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0mAoS6sDZOFjLkct4joiFm?si=mpig8jJ9Q2uq7e-yUO51pA&utm_source=copy-li...

Hi again @_hoggle,

Thank you for sharing the podcasts.

We've now forwarded the podcasts and information to the right team that will continue to investigate this.

Have a great continued weekend 🙂 

JeremyModerator

Also, I've logged into my PC (Chrome version Version 101.0.4951.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)) to see if i can listen to podcasts there...and it doesn't play them either. As in, Podcasts will not play on my PC through the PC speakers. I can press the big green play button but it doesn't start to play. If i choose music, then songs play fine.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies.

Currently there is no option to stream podcasts on an external smart speaker via Connect.

This is because podcasts are considered mixed-media.

As we constantly strive to improve the user experience in our platform, we hope to see this feature implemented soon.

In the meantime you can use a Bluetooth connection or an AUX cable to connect to the speakers.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thanks for coming back to me. I'm slightly confused and would appreciate more information.

I've played podcasts for a long time on Spotify via this way. I performed several factory resets on my phone and devices as per Spotify's suggestions. However, it seems that I didn't need to do that?

As this feature has been removed, will there be a reduction in my subscription cost? It was feature that many users enjoyed.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Zc2ndMrdfGHVj7u7BaDPK?si=wcb0u1DfRZqAGCpvTErJ2Q&utm_source=copy-l...

It's not only podcasts. Music is no longer working via Chromecast. Is Spotify moving away from this function? 

Plan

Family Premium Plan

Country

Canada

Device

Motorola G7 Power

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

My Spotify Account will not stream podcasts when I chromecast or cast to my Google Nest Mini. I can listen to podcasts on my device but I cannot cast to other external devices.

I am part of a family premium plan and every other account on this plan is able to chromecast or cast to the Google nest mini.

• I can cast songs and playlists to the Google Nest Mini perfectly. When I try playing a podcasts it says 'Connecting' forever. When I say 'Hey google play a podcast on spotify' the Google Nest Mini says "Okay playing a podcast on spotify" and 15 seconds later "Sorry something went wrong"
  • Adding a podcast to the Queue skips the podcast.
  • I've tried signing out of all of my devices and stiIl cannot play podcasts on external devices.

At first I thought it was a problem with my Andrioid device (Motorola G 7 Power) or my Google Nest Mini(2nd Generation). However the podcasts did play on the Nest Mini when I tried to cast a podcast with a different account on the same device.

• Podcasts did not play when I tried to chromecast from my Windows computer from my own account.
  • Signed in on my spotify account using a PlayStation 5, podcasts do not play.
    • When another person in my family does with their own account it does play the podcast.

Therefore, I've concluded that my Spotify Account is the problem. However, this problem just started 6-7months ago. Before that, I was casting my podcasts on external devices with no problem.

Spotify App Info:
Device: Motorola G7 Power
Spotify Version - 8.7.44.968
OS Version - Android
Andriod Version - 10

Suggested posts