Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to sync local files from desktop to phone if the song is made unavailable to app

Unable to sync local files from desktop to phone if the song is made unavailable to app

As you know there are some albums made not available to the spotify app. "Pyramids - Pyramids" is not available in the app for whatever reason, but I have the album locally and I would like to have spotify be able to play that album on my phone. I followed the directions for making local files sync to my phone, but if the song is blocked on the app, it will not sync the file from my desktop. Apparently, the app can't distinguish or account for file ownership.

Is there a way around this issue, or will I have to file a bug report and wait for an update or several to pass?

Also, is there some reason that the album is unavailable to the app while still available via the web interface?

Pyramids - Pyramids

3 Replies

Hi. I'm not sure what you mean by "blocked on the app". As long as the music is not protected by DRM, it should sync fine. Most likely it's a firewall or internet security programme causing the music not to sync.

There seems to be an issue recently with much popular music being unplayable on android recently. Certainly, Sleds should be available, on all platforms. I just checked and it should be available in the following countries:

AD AR AT AU BE BG BO BR CA CH CL CO CR CY CZ DE DK DO EC EE ES FI FR GB GR GT HK HN HU ID IE IS IT JP LI LT LU LV MC MT MX MY NI NL NO NZ PA PE PH PL PT PY SE SG SK SV TH TR TW US UY VN

Well, I guess I have deeper issues... When I go to the artist's page in the Android app and the Desktop app the album "Pyramids" is not listed. The only way I've been able to see the album in the app is on the Desktop; I can go to my local copy of the album in the local files view, right click on a song, and select "Go to Album". However, all the songs are greyed out. This is the case not just for this album, but for many of the albums in my collection and probably more I'm not aware of.

I'm certain my inability to sync the tracks in question is because those tracks are being "blocked" (I guess I wouldn't need to sync them anyway if they are available). If I change the name of a song from that album so it doesn't match a the title in the Spotify database, I can sync it. But I'd rather solve the real issue instead of using this workaround.

I don't think it would be a firewall issue; that would block everything from syncing, not just certain files. I just checked this possibility anyways by disabling my filewall temporarily. There is no DRM on the album in question. I'm located in the US and I have Spotify premium.

Yes, what you're experiencing is because Spotify has screwed sometthing up. When you try to sync the playlist, spotify matches the tracks to its database and, because of their screw-up, greys them out as being unavailable. Changing the track details prevent spotify matching them so that's a temporary solution. Other users have said that rolling back to an older version of the android spotify app worked for them but that's a pretty ugly workaround. All you can do is sit tight and keep your fingers crossed that Spotify get their act together quickly.

Suggested posts