Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Undownloaded playlists keep redownloading unbidden

Solved!

Undownloaded playlists keep redownloading unbidden

Hi,

I had a search around but I could only find threads with the opposite problem - playlists not downloading or staying downloaded.

My problem is that I have an unlimited data plan, so I don't need my playlists downloaded to my phone (a Samsung Galaxy Note, if that's relevant). However, they keep downloading themselves anyway and taking up space that I require for other purposes.

I did have them downloaded before, when there was less music on them. Then I tried to undownload them when my phone filled up, which worked fine initially, but restarting the app seems to trigger them to download again without my intervention. I've tried undownloading them a few times, but I don't know what else to do. They're sneaky. It's like they don't want to leave.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Do.you actually see the icon in the notification bar telling you that its download tracks with a percentage? If so then I'd suggest a reinstall to make sure all the old settings are wiped. If not then its probably the fact that as you listen to music spotify is keeping the data in its cache in case you want to listen to the same stuff again soon. Unfortunately there's no setting to tell it how much to keep - it will remove stuff as it thinks best. If you need space you can clear the cache using the android system settings
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Do.you actually see the icon in the notification bar telling you that its download tracks with a percentage? If so then I'd suggest a reinstall to make sure all the old settings are wiped. If not then its probably the fact that as you listen to music spotify is keeping the data in its cache in case you want to listen to the same stuff again soon. Unfortunately there's no setting to tell it how much to keep - it will remove stuff as it thinks best. If you need space you can clear the cache using the android system settings
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

It was definitely downloading rather than just caching, there were progress bars both in the system notification bar and in the app itself. Plus the option would switch back from 'download playlist' to 'undownload'.

I've cleared the cache and reinstalled though, and it seems to be working fine now. Silly of me not to try that first really, it's like troubleshooting 101. Thanks for the fast reply and the help though, much appreciated. I'll be back in the eventuality that it's just lulling me into a false sense of security and springs a surprise attack later on.

Suggested posts