Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is Spotify using so much mobile data? It's just too expensive to use!

Why is Spotify using so much mobile data? It's just too expensive to use!

I use Spotify mainly over Wifi and when I'm out I ONLY use downloaded playlists. So WHY does Spotify use huge amounts of mobile 3G data? If this is how Spotify is supposed to work I can't use it. It's just too expensive! Why isn't there a WiFi only option for data in settings?

22 Replies

Did you try disabling 'background data" for the Spotify App?

Yes, except half of the data usage is highlighted as "Foreground". And disabling background data seems like a workaround, surely this shouldn't be happening at all.

This is an open bug for some time:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Bugs/Android-App-using-a-lot-of-mobile-data/td-p/241958

However, it was reported that it was solved in v1.0.0.70. What version of Spotify are you using? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@fresh-ear wrote:

And disabling background data seems like a workaround, surely this shouldn't be happening at all.

At the moment everything concerning spotify is a workaround. That's really dissatisfying!

I stopped paying for being a beta-tester. I'm not willing to give my money to a service rolling out half-baked "improvements" and completely ignoring its customers' concerns.

Unless Spotify reacts and reverses the changes, I'll get my music from Deezer.

Just to confirm, disabling background data does not solve this problem as most of the data being used is "foreground data"

Can you force the Spotify app into offline mode from the settings menu?

Peter

I can, but it is a highly unsatisfactory solution as I need to keep switching it on and off.

Just wondering how long you where listening for an how much data is it reported to have used?

Peter

I can tell you that on the last occasion I was listening for about 20 min and it used 12.55 MB

Very weird, I haven't seen any other reports of this lately either. It might be worth a re-install and resync to see if that makes any difference.

Peter

Thanks, yes I already did that to see if it made a difference.

... and in case you were wondering it didn't solve the problem.

Still using significant amounts of data when using Spotify offline. This is totally unacceptable because it is costing me money, it's simply not worth it. So I can't use Spotify offline. Nexus 5, Android 4.4.3, Spotify 1.1.0.113

Have you tried turning on "private session" in spotify settings to see if that makes any difference?

@elToberino wrote:

At the moment everything concerning spotify is a workaround. That's really dissatisfying!

I stopped paying for being a beta-tester. I'm not willing to give my money to a service rolling out half-baked "improvements" and completely ignoring its customers' concerns.

Unless Spotify reacts and reverses the changes, I'll get my music from Deezer.

I really love this comment. It's so true, if Spotify just slapped a "beta" tag on their software, it would make a lot of these mistakes more palatable. And less embarrassing for a company that presumably considers "crossing their fingers and praying" a method of app development/testing.

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Same thing happens here. Foreground data is 443MB, but the background data is 2.26GB. That's obscene.

I'm having the same problem!! 

I can't believe my Spotify Premium. use more than double the amount of my data although I've got it set to "only download with wifi" and EXCLUSEVLY listen to OFFLINE songs! 

I've got a Samsung J5 prime, my android version is 6.0.1 and Spotify Is 8.4.28.875 .

Screenshot_20171201-000806.png
Screenshot_20171201-000806.png

Did you try to go to offline mode when you're on your mobile data. I think that should solve your problem.

Suggested posts